Does this network plan make sense?

I’m looking to solve the issues I have with streaming HD by wiring the house and leaving the WiFi for wireless devices only. I’ve devised a plan, but I don’t really know what I’m doing when it comes to networking. I’m wondering if there is anything I’m planning on doing that won’t work or doesn’t make sense. For instance I’m not postitive about how a network switch will effect performance, or if I’ll be making any other amatuer mistekes if I go forward with this plan.

Here is what I want to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ococ8i2301whi71/NetworkPlan.pdf

Will this work?

Hello, that looks like a good layout. 

1 Like

Your plan makes sense to me, too.

Just to help you think this thing through, I will tell you I have a pre-wired CAT 5 home with four network outlets around in different rooms.  My router has four network outlets (which in itself is a switch.)  I have had network switches at each outlet for mutiple hookup of equipment.  No problems with quality switches.  I even had three switches ganged together for the many network items in the home entertainment center.

I recently upgraded the router to a gigagit router  (ASUS RT-N66U)  so the room switches needed to be upgraded to gigabit models as well to take advantage of the new speed improvement.  The whole network is much faster; especially when transferring files around the home network from drive to drive.  The WD Live will not take advantage of the gigabit speed, but other items can.  A new modern router also gives a better all around output signal and better throughput that can help anything connected to it.

So, if you have a gigabit router, be sure to get gigabit switches.  If you plan to upgrade to a gigabit router someday soon, it makes sense to “plan ahead” and get gigabit switches today since you need to get switches anyway.  They are compatible with a slower router.  I found the TrendNet switches to have good reviews and a great value price.  Consider an 8 port switch where you would soon fill a 5 port one.  I did, when I bought my new ones.

1 Like

Attikai wrote:

I’m looking to solve the issues I have with streaming HD by wiring the house and leaving the WiFi for wireless devices only. I’ve devised a plan, but I don’t really know what I’m doing when it comes to networking. I’m wondering if there is anything I’m planning on doing that won’t work or doesn’t make sense. For instance I’m not postitive about how a network switch will effect performance, or if I’ll be making any other amatuer mistekes if I go forward with this plan.

Here is what I want to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ococ8i2301whi71/NetworkPlan.pdf

Will this work?

Nicely thought out.

A couple of questions and comments.

1. Looks like you have (or will have) hard wired ethernet - good!  Why are you going with surface mount ethernet boxes versus flush wall mount?   Wiring not in the wall perhaps?

2. If you can  handle a little more $, then go for a gigabit switch; the Netgear one you show is only 100 mps.  You may not need it right now but if you get in the habit of transferring large files on your network, you’ll wish you had it (along with gigabit capable devices of course).

3. Might want to think about upgrading your router sometime soon (agree with Mike) - assuming your picture is representative of your router (ie., linksys wrt-54xx series).  Upgrading will give you wireless N (or AC), 4 port gigabit switches and updated security features and capability.

4. Maybe I’m missing something, but how is your basement getting on your network?  Seems like things are connected to one another but there’s no connection to your router.   Does the PC down there act as a DHCP, file and network server?

Just some thoughts.

The reason I was thinking surface mount is that my house is over 100 years old with lath and plaster walls. So I figured it would be easier to just go with surface mounts? I’ll be running all new wire on the outside of the house.

That brings me to a question about gigabit. I’m going to take your advice, mike27oct, and go gigabit. Is my big roll of CAT5e cable fine for gigabit speeds? What about these surface mount boxes? Should I get the Cat5e or Cat6 ones?

After all the wires have been installed I’ll upgrade the router in round 2.

The basement is getting the network from one of the two surface mount boxes coming out of the office. I’m actually going to revise the plan a bit because someone suggested that I just go ahead and install an Ethernet jack in the spare bedroom. But the basic idea is everything comes out of the office. On the basement side of the drawing the dashed line represents the office on the main floor. So the cable would drop down and go into the basement from the office.

The computer down there is getting very old and I’m not sure if I’m going to even replace it. The WDTV pretty much does what it used to do.

I really appreciate everyone’s help. I’m glad I asked for advice before ordering everything as the plan is now evolving.

Cat 5e is fine for Gig Ethernet.  And if your cable is Cat 5e, then use cat 5e connectors unless cat 6 ones are less expensive.  

1 Like