Does this device play directly off of an external drive?

I plugged in my 2 TB WD external to my hub but am only presented with the option to sync my media which is an option that would take forever.

Am I missing something? Can this device play media off of an external drive without being synced or should I be going a step down to WD Live?

Welcome to the forums.

There are known issues with that WD drive - I believe you need to reformat it in a certain way.  Try doing a forum search in the Live/Plus forum for “WD Elements 2TB” and see what you find.

hub_user wrote:

I plugged in my 2 TB WD external to my hub but am only presented with the option to sync my media which is an option that would take forever.

Am I missing something? Can this device play media off of an external drive without being synced or should I be going a step down to WD Live?

That’s the normal behavior when you plug in external media.   You can turn that function OFF in the setup menu, if you wish.

Once you attach the storage, you need to navigate to it by going to Photo or Video or Files or whatever, then press the RED button to “Select Source,” then choose “Local Storage.”   It should then present you with menus to navigate to either the USB storage or the internal HD.

Hi Mike and Tony,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Tony, your advice lead to the device being recognized and I am now enjoying my media

Thanks again,

Frank