Does the new wd tv live 2011 can play 3d movies and bluray menus?

Hi i want to know if for now or at the future can wd tv live 2011 play bluray menus from full bluray iso files and if it can play full hd 3d movies.

As i know the chipset is strong enough to can play that kind of files but THE WD DON’T take the authority to can play bluray menus and 3d movies.

Why is that happening even at the highest wd tv live hub product.

Is so hard to take these authorities that other SMALLER COMPANY’S TAKE IT?

fits79 wrote:

As i know the chipset is strong enough to can play that kind of files…

What’s your source that says the Sigma 8670 can play 3D Blurays and Bluray menus?

Because even the  the previews wd tv live 2009(Sigma 8655 @ 500Mhz) it was capable to play bluray menus so the newest and stronger wd tv live 2011(Sigma 8670 @ 700Mhz).

All the matter was and is at the firmware and at the authority’s so…

Sigma SMP8670

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/documents/SMP8670_br.pdf

Sigma SMP8650 Series

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/documents/SMP8650_br.pdf

And here’s something from iboum

http://www.iboum.com/bloog/

Yup…  Neither of those chipsets are even Bluray Profile 1.0…

I think Bluray Profile 4.0 or higher is required for 3d?

… and BD profile 1.1 or higher is required for BDJ-based menus, which most BD’s are now…

Yeah, looks like this is the series to have.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/documents/SMP8910_br.pdf

So it is or it isn’t there any chance to can see bluray movies menus on any wd media player?

And if we can’t why is that happening the time that others media player with realtek chipset that it isn’t so strong as the sigmatech chipset that wd tv live gen3 and wd tv live hub has can play bluray menus.

Is it not clear to you that they WDs CANNOT display BD menus?

Which other media players, exactly, are you referring to? 

The few devices that I know that can stream BD with full menu either use the Sigma 864x series or the realtek listed above, which both have built-in BD support.

Xtreamer and many more.

I don’t want to believe that one company like western digital CAN’T OR DON’T WANT his hi-end product has that kind of disadvantages compared to other media players.

Xstreamer and MANY more?   I think you’re sorely confused.

NONE of the XSTREAMERS support BD Menus.   This is confirmed time and time again in the XStreamer forums.

The Prodogy, which hasn’t even been released yet, is expected to support “Simple” menus, but no one even knows what that means.   It does NOT support Full BD menus.

The PCH200 supports menus,   $300.  

The NetGear NeoTV 550 suppors SOME menus   $200 (getting cheaper now because NetGear has “dumped” it.)

Some Dune HD models supports menus.  ($300+)

So you’re comparing an $89 box with a $300+ box?  

Again, if you know of others post SPECIFICS.  Not just “Many Others,” because there are NOT more than about a half dozen that do that I am aware of.

As Tony said, the majority of the Sigma players out that support full BD menus are using SMP864x series chipsets.

No other player using the same chipsets as the WDTVLive SMP or the HUB support full BD menus.  So it is most likely a limitation of the chipset and not an issue of WD not implemented.

The reason that WD uses the chipset that they do is most likely to keep the prices down.  The Xtreamers that will play with BD menus are priced higher than the WDTV Lives.

Oops, TW posted right at the same time.

TW, do you know which of the Xstreamers are doing this?   I haven’t found any info that ANY of them can, according to what the users on their forums post.

They just added ISO support in 2.0, but that doesn’t mean menu support.

The 3 that iboum show as BD-ISO (menu)  are the SideWinder 2, the Utlra (but it’s a HTPC) and the Prodigy.

But according to the reviews that I’ve read, the SideWinder has quite a few problems playing BD-ISO’s where the whole picture freezes up and sound is completely lost.  But it runs the same chipset as in the Prodigy (Realtek 1185) according to iboum specs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Xstreamer and MANY more?   I think you’re sorely confused.

NONE of the XSTREAMERS support BD Menus.   This is confirmed time and time again in the XStreamer forums.

The Prodogy, which hasn’t even been released yet, is expected to support “Simple” menus, but no one even knows what that means.   It does NOT support Full BD menus.

The PCH200 supports menus,   $300.  

The NetGear NeoTV 550 suppors SOME menus   $200 (getting cheaper now because NetGear has “dumped” it.)

Some Dune HD models supports menus.  ($300+)

So you’re comparing an $89 box with a $300+ box?  

Again, if you know of others post SPECIFICS.  Not just “Many Others,” because there are NOT more than about a half dozen that do that I am aware of.

First of all i talk about EVERY WD MEDIA PLAYER PRODUCT and NOT ONLY FOR WD TV LIVE 2011 so…

Second of all what exactly is “The Prodogy”

I mispelled it.  The Prodigy.   The “latest” x-streamer which is not yet released.

No, I’m asking YOU for specifics.   You said that the “Xstreamer and MANY more” media players support BD menus.

I’m asking you which, specifically.

Tinwarble wrote:

The 3 that iboum show as BD-ISO (menu)  are the SideWinder 2, the Utlra (but it’s a HTPC) and the Prodigy.

Not sure about the Ultra, but the Sidewinder2 and Prodigy only support “BD Lite” menus; a far cry from full menu support.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Not sure about the Ultra, but the Sidewinder2 and Prodigy only support “BD Lite” menus; a far cry from full menu support.

All I can say is that iboum is showing them supporting BD-ISO (menu) not BD-ISO (lite).  However, iboum does have conflicting specs.  If you filter by BD-ISO (menu) then these 3 come up, but the specs do say Lite.

As far as the Ultra, it should since it’s an HTPC that runs Ubuntu with XBMC or Boxee, and this is the specs for it:

Launch Date:  May 2011 158 days ago
Approx Price:  $? - €285 - £?   US$395
User Ranking: 30 /438. #Votes: Very Low    ?  info 

Chipset Family:  Nvidia ION    ?  info 
Chipset Model:  Nvidia GT218 @ 550Mhz

Storage:  Internal HDD(*1) eSATA(*1) USB(*6)
Network:  Gigabit Ethernet Optional Wi-Fi(n)   ?  info 
Size:  213*142*54mm (1.63L)    Fan:  Yes

Video Outputs:  HDMI
Audio Outputs:  Stereo Analog TOSLINK Digital

DVD ISO:  Yes (original menus)
Blu-Ray ISO: Yes (original menus)

Web Services:  Software dependent   ?  info 
**On-Demand (USA): **Software dependent
**On-Demand (UK): **Software dependent
**On-Demand (Other): **Software dependent

HD Audio:  DTS Dmix TrueHD Dmix DTS-HD MA Dmix

However as it is an HTPC and not in the same class as a media player.

Yeah, definitely contradictory…

http://www.iboum.com/pr/xtreamsid2.php

http://www.iboum.com/pr/xtprod2.php

shows BD-Lite only for both.  :smileyvery-happy:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I mispelled it.  The Prodigy.   The “latest” x-streamer which is not yet released.

No, I’m asking YOU for specifics.   You said that the “Xstreamer and MANY more” media players support BD menus.

I’m asking you which, specifically.

Ok you asked me to be more specific to which media players support bd-menu correct?

So go here and see that even cheaper media players than wd tv live gen3 support bd-menu so now what you have to say?

Have a better look to the first 5 products that is cost until 120$ and ALL support full bd-menu.

And most of them has Realtek 1185 @ 500Mhz chipset that it isn’t as strong as it is wd tv live 2011(Sigma 8670 @ 700Mhz) chipsets so…

Well, all those only support BD lite, anything with a Realtek 1185 or 1186 chipset  does not support BD menus.

Iboum has bad filtering, if you filter by BD-ISO (menu) it will pull up the BD-ISO (lite) players too.   Go look at the actual specs on those players you’ll see that they say

Blu-Ray ISO:  Yes. BD Profile 1 + BD-Lite

Which is not full menu support.

There are only a few there that actually support BD menus and they are well outside the range of being competitive with the WDTV Lives.