Does the 8TB easystore USB HD have TLER enabled?

Recently purchased a WD easystore 8TB USB external HD and diagnostic tools indicate that the hard drive inside is actually a WDC WD80EFAX that reports a 256Mb cache, which would make it to a RED NAS hard drive. Many forums confirm this too.

I understand that the Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER) feature on such drives is enabled by default as they are intended for Network-Attached Storage (NAS) setups. I also understand that WD recommend that when such drives are used in single drive setups, as in a consumer external USB drive like the easydrive, it is advisable not have the TLER enabled as it can cause issues.

Is the TLER enabled on these easydrives?
If the TLER is enabled, is it really a concern when this hard drive is used as a single?

Thank you.

Does no-one know?

Hello there,

Normally the internal drives have TLER if they are normally in a RAID environment. Having TLER on a single bay external drive should not have a lot of use of this feature.

Was more concerned about the drawbacks if a RED is used in a non-NAS/RAID situation.

Received a totally irrelevant reply from Ravi of WD. I asked about TLER and nothing in the reply relates to my question. What a classic boilerplate response that does not help 1%. What was the point of even bothering if Ravi is not going to
read my post properly and answer the asked question. Here is the official answer to my question!!

Dear MUGHUG,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Ravi.

We saw your post on WD community web site. The drive inside your external hard drive, network hard drive, WD TV, or router enclosure may vary depending on application. There are several things you should know about WD external hard drives:

1. Depending on model, the internal hard drive in an external enclosure could be either SATA or native USB.
  2. We can only guarantee drive capacity. We cannot guarantee a particular internal hard drive model, data interface, rotational speed, or cache size in the external hard drive enclosure.
  3. Dismantling any single-drive external enclosure to obtain this information will void the warranty of the hard drive.
  4. Interface and cache of the hard drives inside the external enclosure does not affect the performance or the data transfer rate of the external hard drive unit.

Note: With the exception of Thunderbolt, eSATA and USB 3.0 external hard drives, USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 have yet to approach the transfer rates of the internal hard drives we use in our external enclosures.

You may refer to the links below:

What kind of hard drive is inside a Western Digital external product?

Also, WD does not support bench-marking.

Comparing bench marking programs to performance specifications for hard drives is not a realistic way of determining if a hard drive is performing optimally. Poor or slow performance is usually caused by system configuration issues. It is very rare that the performance issue is directly related to the hard drive.

Bench marking programs indicate that my hard drive is performing slower than expected
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1431

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Ravi
Western Digital Service and Support

Note: If you have not visited our community forums, please make sure to do so. You may also find answer(s) to your question(s) there. Link to WD community forums at: http://community.wd.com

This electronic message contains information from Western Digital, is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential. The dissemination of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please respond back to this e-mail or contact us by phone.

In order to process your email, please do not remove this reference #: .

Hi MugHug ,

Well this drives comes with TLER enabled. However, when rebooting the drive, it may get disabled but you can also re enable it.

Thanks!