Does Smartware run in background?

I just installed a My Book Essential 3TB external drive. I also installed Smartware.

I ran the initial backup and everything seems to have worked as expected.

So now I have what may be a stupid question but I’m just not sure how this all works so please bear with me. I want Smartware to perform the continuous backup of my files (i.e., changed/new files are automatically backed up). So, does the Smartware application itself always to be running on my system (i.e., do I have to physically start the program and see it on my taskbar) or does something run in the background automatically at all times (even afer a reboot) that monitors for things to backup.

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Well yes, it runs on the background… since the software is for automatic backups, it will run in the background checking for the new files that were updated in the computer.

Just to make sure because I’ve wondered about this myself…

I have a My Book Live and Smartware installed.  When I start the computer there’s a WD Quick View icon in my system tray.

So therefore there’s no need to explicitly run WD Smartware, have the application open, and click “start backup” on the backup tab because it’s already running?

crustfan wrote:

Just to make sure because I’ve wondered about this myself…

I have a My Book Live and Smartware installed.  When I start the computer there’s a WD Quick View icon in my system tray.

So therefore there’s no need to explicitly run WD Smartware, have the application open, and click “start backup” on the backup tab because it’s already running?

I am not sure it is running. It is not in Startup so if you close the software or restart your computer…

I figured out that Smartware always runs in the background (though I don’t know exactly what those processes are).  By opening the application and changing settings, those settings stay in effect when the main window (ie Home, Backup, Retrieve, Settings, Help tabs) of the application is closed.  So by starting a backup and closing the window, you are not disabling the backup.  I originally thought I had to have the main window open for the backup to complete and run. (Which would mean that I would have to manually open the program every time I boot the computer.) So even though I don’t open the application, as long as it’s in my system tray, and I have the program set to run backups, my computer should be backing itself up all the time it is on.

Alternatively if I want to disable backups I open the main window, go to the backup tab and click stop backup which should disable the backup process even upon reboot.