Does mybooklive support symbolic link?

After mounting WD MyBookLive to /mnt/wd under Ubuntu 12.04,

I’m now trying to cp a lot of things down to /mnt/wd (namely, mybooklive). However, I got the following error message:

cp: cannot create symbolic link `..../.libs/libv4l2cpi.la': Operation not supported

Does that mean mybooklive doesn’t even support  symbolic link? 

Thanks

Pei

Not enough info.

How are you mounting it?  Samba?  NFS?  

What command are you using?  (yeah, I see “cp” but what parameters?)

What’s with the “…” in the path?

Hi, Tony:

Thank you for your answering.

I’m using

$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=XXXXX,password=XXXXX 192.168.1.82:/Public /mnt/nfs

for mounting. NFS…

The   cp command I’m using is 

sudo cp -ap /nfs/* /mnt/nfs/

Just want to copy a built Linux down to MyBookLive, for nfs booting…

Cheers

Pei 

Err, no.

mount -t cifs

is a SAMBA mount, not NFS.

So, no, you cannot use symlinks on Samba mounted drives.

And that syntax if your command is wrong for BOTH mount types. 

It’d be, for nfs:

sudo mount 192.168.1.82:/Public /mnt/nfs (and the -o business doesn’t support the options you specify.)

for CIFS:

sudo mount -t cifs ‘//192.168.1.82/Public’ /mnt/nfs -o user=xxxx,password=xxxx   (not username=xxxx)

etc.

I followed your suggestion with some modification (refer to  http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ubuntu-linux-nfs-client-configuration-to-mount-nfs-share.html)

What I got now is

@peij:/mnt$ sudo mount 192.168.1.82:/Public /mnt/nfs
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.82:/Public

So, any further suggestions? Thank you…

Best Regards

Pei

Public isn’t a mountpoint.  /nfs is the mountpoint.

So it’d be

sudo mount 192.168.1.82:/nfs /mnt/nfs

Hi, Tony:

Thanks… It’s now mounting the entire MyBookLive onto /mnt/nfs …

I can’t access my private folder. I mean, I created a user peij. A folder peij  in the same level as Public  has been created. However, I’m not able to access it now. When I click this folder, I got

The folder contents could not be displayed.You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "nfs".

And I notice the folder /mnt/nfs

drwxrwxr-x 12 root peij 65536 Sep 9 00:05 nfs

The original permission of /mnt/nfs before mounting is 

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Sep 8 11:56 nfs

It’s wield that for cifs, user=, password= should be input to access MyBookLive, but for NFS, no username and password needs to be specified? Why ?

Cheers

Pei

Yes.

Note also that NFS access is only available for public shares.

Refer to  http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=254&start=330

Cheers

Pei

However, even I did

peij@peij:~$ sudo mount 192.168.1.82:/nfs/Public/nfs /mnt/nfs
peij@peij:~$ sudo cp -ap /nfs/* /mnt/nfs/

I got the following error messages:

cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/kmod': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/ss': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/cpio': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/bzip2recover': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/gunzip': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/setfont': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/bash': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/lesskey': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/pwd': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/sleep': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/which': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for /mnt/nfs/bin/netcat: Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for /mnt/nfs/bin/bzegrep: Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/zfgrep': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for /mnt/nfs/bin/rnano: Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/zcat': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/ping': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/fgconsole': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for /mnt/nfs/bin/open: Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/stty': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/lesspipe': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/ping6': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/loadkeys': Operation not permitted
cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/nfs/bin/fgrep': Operation not permitted.....

Why is it so? What should I do to prevent it from happening?

Cheers

Pei

It seems the problem has been solved…

Must ssh into MyBookLive and change /etc/exports

must be no_root_squash

Cheers

Pei