Does MCM have a defrag function?

I have been using my MCM in JBOD mode for a few months with no issues.  I don’t have any apps installed nor am I using any of the ‘cloud’ functions.  It is basically serving as an external hard drive for my Plex server.

The question is with a few months of adding, deleting, moving, renaming files is it time to defrag?  I have just over 6,000 files on disk 1 and approaching a full state (3.11 TB per windows explorer properties).

I would assume a NAS isn’t much different from a HD installed in a PC that should occasionally have a defragmentation routine run to improve performance and storage capacity.

It does not feature a defragmentation feature because of its EXT4 file system.

Trancer wrote:

It does not feature a defragmentation feature because of its EXT4 file system.

And what does that mean? Is there no defragmentation or does it work without any action of the user?

EXT4 does not normally need to be defragmentated because of the way it behaves. The short explanation is files are added around the entire disk with plenty of space between them as opposed to next to each other, and when needed files are moved to bigger blocks by the file system. This reduces fragmentation when files are modified.

1 Like