Does anyone have experience converting WD internal hard drive to external?

I have an Apple iMac G5 (PPC) which stopped working. I removed the HD and I want to be able to access it on an Apple Powermac G5 (PPC) via USB,  firewire or other cable that the Powermac will accept through a hard drive adapter or enclosure. The HD label says: model WD1600JD, WDCaviar SE, Serial ATA Hard Drive. There is a note at the bottom: “Use either SATA Power or Legacy Power connector. Do not use both which may result in damage to the hard drive”. I searched online for how to convert internal to external. I see several types of adapters and mfrs.: caddy, enclosure, cable without enclosure, etc. Note that this drive has a circuit board connector (made to fit into a receiving slot) as well as pins. I can’t figure out which is the right adapter/cable to buy. Can anyone who has actually succeeeded in doing what I want to do give me some suggestions? Thanks.

you can just use an external enclosure

it’s a lot easier

just buy one for 3.5 drives

1 Like

where can I buy this external enclosure and would it work with my WD 250 GB drive?  I bot a SATA to USB connect cable but it’s connector was for pins and not for printed circuit board.   

tamisan wrote:

where can I buy this external enclosure and would it work with my WD 250 GB drive?  I bot a SATA to USB connect cable but it’s connector was for pins and not for printed circuit board.   

You should be able to pick one up from just about any electronics store, or even online.  Just make sure that you get one that takes eide/pata drives if your drive has pin connectors.

1 Like