Do you like the features of WD TV Live Hub?

What kind of features do you use with the greatest pleasure?

Tell me. Help me to understand the WD TV Live Hub.

Hi!

The reason I bought this device is that I can fill it up with alot of blue ray movies, and carry it around with me. I transfer movies to my wd tv live hub via internet. Now I got about 60 movies and 3 seasons of tv series. I’ve got it all organized so I can read a summary of each movie and tv show etc.

In weekends I carry it with me to my friends. So there is no reason to rent movies anymore.

Well, that’s pretty much the only thing I use my WD live hub for. And it works great!

Hi, you are wrote:“I transfer movies to my wd tv live hub via internet.”

Via internet of a computer or via internet of your WD TV Live Hub  ?

I have my hub connected to the internet with a cable. Then I transfer from my computer.

For me, what sold me on the Hub was the built in storage. It is really what differentiates it from its competitors (boxee, roku, etc) who can stream content but not store it which requires storage somewhere else. I began ripping my dvd collection when I bought the hub and I have about 30 done so far but already the hub takes up substantially less space than 30 DVDs. Recently I have been very displeased with the development arc of the Hub’s operating system as it seems that WD is putting a significant effort into the internet services side of the device to the detriment of the thing that makes it different… the storage. The addition of games and other services does not make the device any more attractive in my opinion.

You wrote:“other services does not make the device any more attractive in my opinion. ”

Why other services does not make the device any more attractive?

Tell me. Help me to understand 

For me single winning feature is the built in Twonky server - it allows me to stream any content via wifi to my iPad. Storage isnt a biggy, externals are cheap nowadays and 1TB is filling up fast. The interface is also far more user friendly than the smaller WDTV. The services are kind of useless to me, much easier to whip out my laptop for youtube, facebook etc although i do use Deezer to discover new tunes.

I love the hub but if it wasnt for the media server functionality I would probably have gone WDTV Live instead

Interesting.
I could not find an iPad app which would connect to a twonky server. I use 8player which stream audio through the hub DLNA server. 8player has a nice an easy interface and it found the DLNA server right after it was installed. It also stream video from a D-Link DNS-323 NAS through a UPnP AV server.

TheCoolDude wrote:
I could not find an iPad app which would connect to a twonky server.

I don’t know what you mean. Both the Hub and the DNS-323 run Twonky as their DLNA/UPNP server.

I use the Filebrowser iPad app to view/play files but it’s sloooowwww…

How does one use Twonky to access the Hub?  And will you be able to access the internal drive only or any connected USB drive?

Why WD TV Live Hub services are not best?

It isn’t that the services are not good, it is that they are not necessary. At least they are not all necessary. I use Pandora and Netflix all the time and that is it. I’m sure other people use the other services as well. I wish we could install and use only the services we want, rather than the all-or-nothing, cable tv style we have now. I mean seriously has anyone actually played the games for more than a few minutes just to see what they were?

I do like the features that the hub offers and it has great potential. However WD needs to concentrate on fixing the bugs it has before just keeping on adding stuff. I think most of us would be happy with the media player aspect working good rather than adding all the stuff. It seems WD has settled with it’s a new platform and it is ok to have bugs. My wife uses it for netflix but everything has netflix now I want all my movie and music collection in one place and I want them to play when I want them to play. As it sits now I have to work around the unit locking up on ISO files a playlist function that is completely useless once again unless you work around it. WD will someday lose the media player battle simpy because they haven’t  listened to it’s customers

I love this thing, sure it has bugs but windows 7 still has bugs. I use Playon so the wife can watch Big Brother on the big screen and all the free Amazon prime content + netflix and all the youtube videos. I have not had a problem yet but I will need another hard drive soon as this one is filling up. I have had it about a week,It showed up with no Instructions at all.

Why you wrote:“I will need another hard drive soon as this one is filling up.”?

Both Buzz PLayer HD and AIrPlayer are very good apps for accessing the HUB. You don’t need to ‘use’ twonky - it is running on the hub and enables the hub to appear as a media renderer to apps/devices that are able too see it.

Buzz player is great as it supports subtitles and can change aspect ratio while watching but has a clunky interface - 8 player and AirPlayer very user friendly but missing subtitle at this stage.

“Why you wrote:“I will need another hard drive soon as this one is filling up.”?”

He means once the hard drive is full, he will need to get another to put films/music on.

Features of the Hub

1. Internal Storage - Not as good a I thought, as transfer is very slow.

2. Better Interface - Yep it does look better and the Themes is what sold it to me. Unfortunately if it was not for the Modders here, you would be pretty stuck.

3. Services - never use them, and it does anny me that WD stuck out the last firmware update and all that was on it was mostly Facebook updates. I feel thats down to making the firmware look like a fuller update, when in fact nobody wants any of the things they update.

tm224 wrote:

I do like the features that the hub offers and it has great potential. However WD needs to concentrate on fixing the bugs it has before just keeping on adding stuff. I think most of us would be happy with the media player aspect working good rather than adding all the stuff. It seems WD has settled with it’s a new platform and it is ok to have bugs. My wife uses it for netflix but everything has netflix now I want all my movie and music collection in one place and I want them to play when I want them to play. As it sits now I have to work around the unit locking up on ISO files a playlist function that is completely useless once again unless you work around it. WD will someday lose the media player battle simpy because they haven’t  listened to it’s customers

Yes I’m running out of ideas on how to get WD to fix the bugs in the basic functions of the audio player and Media Library. There are many posts on these forums asking for the bugs to be fixed before WD adds new features. I also reported one of the problems to WD tech support in April, it still hasn’t been fixed.

I read and my opinion the WD TV Live Hub can be the best with more services from internet.

I use my hub to store and play TV shows and movies… occasionally I use it to stream content like Netflix, or Internet radio stations… 

I tried using it once to access my Facebook page and the interface was sooo sllllloooooowww and clunky, I stopped within moments and will never bother with that again…  

The games, as much as I like the idea, are mostly pointless… If I wanted to play sad, never ending games, I’d rather they were Atari 2600 clones…

I was HOPING that I’d be able to connect my 137G MP3 collection to my hub, and Random Play All, but the music player set-up is so woefully outdated that the only way I can do it, is to copy ALL my music files to an external HD, all in one BIG folder and play them from there… Not something I have ANY desire to do… I remain hopeful that in the not too distant future, WD is going to improve it’s ability to play large collections of music…   

Oh yeah… if I use anything bu the default WD logo screen saver on my hub, it crashes almost constantly…

Those issues aside, I do very much like my WD Hub… Between Dl’d/ripped contend and streaming, we used the WD Hub as an excuse to cancel all “cable” tv…   and we have NO desire to go back!  

Now if WD can get it together and compete with the soon to come Apple TV, they’ll really be on to something   http://www.mondaynote.com/2011/09/04/an-apple-tv-set-in-our-future/ 

:slight_smile: