DO NOT UPGRADE TO OS5 you lose ALL app support

Might as well cross post a reply in the OS5 section on this issue.

Well first you will need to Download this archive from this link:

https://downloads.wdc.com/gpl/WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_20201112.tar.gz

You will need a Linux Distro (Ubuntu for example) use a big usb stick 16 or 32 GB
copy the file above on the stick or download it after you boot in Linux from the USB Stick
extract the files from the archive on the Linux desktop and don’t change the folder name ( WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_20201112 ) that way it will be easy to just copy the commands and only type you’re user name where you have {Your User Name}. You can also use a virtual machine to install linux. I’ve used Ubuntu on virtual machine.

In the archive you have a basic instructions set made for you by WD on what to do, the example they give is for the Transmission App (WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_ReleaseNote.txt).

This is a detailed step by step on how create the Transmission App because the release notes from WD are not that detailed if you’re not great with Linux:

Open Terminal and type these commands (Remember your Password and User Name after you finish installing Linux on the virtual machine or USB stick):

sudo -s

To Install Docker use:

cd /home/{Your User Name}/Desktop/WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_20201112/dockerfile/

then type:

sudo snap install docker

or

sudo apt install docker.io

wait for it to finish

then type:

docker build -t gza_build_env .

wait for it to finish.

then:

cd /home/{Your User Name}/Desktop/WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_20201112/Apps/

type this to display the supported modules

’/home/{Your User Name}/Desktop/WDMyCloud_NAS_Apps_GPL_20201112/Apps/MyCloudOS5_mksapkg’

You should see this:

Supported model_name:
WDMyCloud
WDMyCloudEX4100
WDMyCloudDL4100
WDMyCloudEX2100
WDMyCloudDL2100
WDMyCloudMirror
MyCloudEX2Ultra
MyCloudPR4100
MyCloudPR2100
WDCloud

then change folders by typing:

cd armhf

then

cd Transmission

this last command will create the app in the armhf folder for the My Cloud Gen 2 it is a bin file but after the bin extension it will have date like this: WDMyCloud_Transmission_1.09.bin(02092021) you can delete the date after .bin or just use it like it is:

…/…/MyCloudOS5_mksapkg -E -s -m WDMyCloud

for a another app just type:

cd …

and change the folder for example

cd AmazonS3

then

…/…/MyCloudOS5_mksapkg -E -s -m WDMyCloud

and you will have the AmazonS3 app for My Cloud Gen 2

I hope this helps everybody. If you have any problems I will do my best to help.

2 Likes