Do I need a special network adapter for dual band?

I’m surpised I can’t find this info on any of the web pages or user manuals.  I’ve been running a 300mbps 802.11n router for some time, and have just moved to the N750 dual band router.  What I’m wondering is, do I need a special network adapter in my wireless devices (such as my windows media center PC), in order to take advantage of the “750” speed of the n750?

I have a linksys usb network adapter in the media center PC currently.  It’s connected to the n750, but I’m not sure how to tell on which band?

There is no need for additional adapters to achieve proper bandwidth speed with the My Net N750.

However, there are a couple of things to consider when talking about network performance and overall bandwidth speed.

The performance will depend on network conditions, volume of network traffic, configuration, interference and other adverse conditions.

The majority of the devices connect to the 2.4 GHz band since it is the only one they support.

The devices that do support connecting to a 5 GHz network will appear connected to " My Net N750 5G" or something similar. 

The user manual shows information on the configuration of both bands respectively. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705072.pdf#page=41

I have the same SSID for my 2.4/5 w/ my MacBook, wife’s iPhone, and two Apple TVs connecting to the 5 band, all other devices connect at the 2.4 since they don’t support the 5 band. All-in-all, there are 11+ devices connected and the router runs well.

I’m still confused though.  Doesn’t being an “n750” router indicate theoretical speeds up to 750mbps?  But this is achieved by using two ranges, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  With bandwidth of 300mpbs and 450mbps respectively.  Is there a network adapter in existence that can make use of the “750” speeds of this router, by connecting to both bands at the same time?

My current network cards/adapters are 2.4ghz “n300” devices, so I assume they won’t get any kind of speed boost from me switching over to the MyNet n750.  If that’s true, I’m asking what kind of adapter I might purchase to increase my speeds.

The unit is advertise to achieve a wireless speed up to 300+450 Mbps.

No, the unit does not need to connect to both bands. As far as I know that is not even possible.

For more information about the My Net Net N750 see the specs on the link bellow:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=720

My MacBook from late 2008 gets 243-300 regularly in the 5GHz band. Most 2.4 will reach a max of 144 on 20 width, but may get more if there are no other 2.4 signals around.

So why would WD call it an n750, if it’s not capable of 750mbps speeds?  Seems like very dodgy marketing practices to me.  The consumer is used to products being called n150, or n300, as an indication of their theoretical maximum speed.  So WD call their product an n750, because one band does 300mbps, and the other 450mbps…but there’s no technology in the world that can actually join those bands together to achieve 750?

Of course anyone with networking knowledge would know this…but your hoping that’s a small percentage of the customer base, aren’t you?  Your product page link even says, vary vaguely: “Faster Dual-Band N speeds for accelerated HD streaming.”

Faster than what?  How is HD streaming accelerated by being dual band?  Your little green logo says “300 + 450 Mbps”.  Shouldn’t it say “300 or 450Mbps”?

Shame WD, shame.

juzdu wrote:

I’m surprised I can’t find this info on any of the web pages or user manuals.  I’ve been running a 300mbps 802.11n router for some time, and have just moved to the N750 dual band router.  What I’m wondering is, do I need a special network adapter in my wireless devices (such as my windows media center PC), in order to take advantage of the “750” speed of the n750?

I have a linksys usb network adapter in the media center PC currently.  It’s connected to the n750, but I’m not sure how to tell on which band?

It looks like you’re getting caught up in the name of the router.  I have one and I use it regularly to stream hd quality shows over the internet.  And that’s while my son is playing Call of Duty, or watching Netflix. 

What kinds of issues are you having anyway?  If you’re looking for how to set it up for both bands, just set network mode to mixed, and that will allow your compatible devices to take advantage of the 5G capability.  But, remember, you will need to have 5G devices in order to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.

[edit]

Just to update what I was saying, forget about setting the router at mixed.  In order to obtain the “750” speeds, you will need to set the router to “n” only on the 5G range and “a&g” on the 2.4G range.  This will prevent the “n” from reverting back to 2.4G.  Then you will need to make sure that your devices have dual antennas and are “n” rated at 5G. 

Once you set up the router the way I described, the router will be broadcasting at 300 on one antenna and 450 on the other.

I’m not really having ‘problems’ per se.  I’m just annoyed at myself…I saw a retailer advertise the myNet750 on special, so I visited the product page and read up on it.  I’m an IT guy, have been for 20 years.  But the product page made me think there was some new development in wireless networking that allowed the router and PC to communicate at up to 750mbps, compared to the 300mbps I was getting out of my current setup.  My current setup is a cable modem/wifi router combo from my ISP (2.4ghz 300mbps), that drops the wifi signal out regularly and needs a reboot to fix it.  So I figured I was killing two birds by getting a dedicated wifi router, that could more than double the speed of wireless transmission to my media centre PC on the other side of the house.

Frustratingly the speed of connection between the myNet750 and my media centre PC is now slower than it was with my modem/router device.  They’ve connected at something like 78mbps compared to 120 ish I used to get.  Admittedly this hasn’t changed the quality of streaming video, as 78mbps is still good enough…and now I don’t have dropouts, so that’s a positive.  But when I realised from the answers above that there is no way to connect a single device to the router at “750 speeds” I just felt a bit sucked in, and just a little embarrassed that I’d fallen for what seems to be a pretty dodgy marketing ploy.

Finally…your last message has really added to my confusion.  You said to set the 5ghz range to “n” only, and 2.4ghz to “a&g”.  Not only does that seem to be the wrong way around…there is NO setting on either 2.4 or 5g for “a&g”.  I’m guessing what you might mean is to set 2.4g to “802.11 g+n”, and 5g to “802.11a only”?  And then make sure my devices have dual antennas and are “a” rated at 5G?

EDIT: Actually that doesn’t seem right either, as 802.11a is an old 5Ghz spec, only rated to 54mbps.  So I’m not sure what you were asking me to do now?

I would set the 2.4ghz to mixed 802.11 b+g, and the 5ghz to 802.11n only.  If you’re not using a, then that should be fine.  However, keep in mind that you have to have devices that can do dual in and outs in order for this to work.