Do I have to install anything with my Passport Essential 500 GB USB drive?

I tried the SmartWare software that comes preinstalled and decided to uninstall it.

Now when I plug in the drive I am cancelling out of all installation requests. Windows XP gives me a pop-up saying there might be problems with the device because I skipped an installation.

The drive shows up OK and I’m able to read and write it.

Is this an acceptable/reliable mode of operation?

Hi

This is Accpectable way of Opertation But if dont like the software to POP then you can follow the Article on the website… Which will help you disable to POP UP

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3835&p_created=1256946237&p_sid=RXkxeqPj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PTM4MzU!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Artilce:- 3835

This will help you and solve the problem

Hi Kryptonhite

The user sag63 are not refering to the Virtual CD included with newer WD MyPassport, and you know it.

He is refering to the “WD SES Device” included in the new mypassport drives that forces user to install drivers.

Until this feature can be disabled, my disk will come back to the store.

Check this and this

Xan000 is correct, I don’t want to install anything, or be prompted to install anything.

I tried SmartWare and it is not even close to meeting my needs. If I could control exactly what

gets backed up rather than be severely limited to just specific file types then I would

consider using it. This product is clearly aimed at the very basic of users.

WD Product Management, if you’re listening to these boards, please either provide

better backup software or don’t provide any at all. You’re restricting your addressable

market by dumbing down your otherwise outstanding hardware products!

Ditto.

I like wd products, but latest “tuning” makes them unusable for me.

Requirement for any sort of non-system-built-in drivers for a portable drive means it’s not portable anymore.

Existance of any devices etc. except the drive itself inside always will rise questions and doubt of honesty, so it must be well explained, tested and agreed with future users.

Since i got in troubles because of no warning about changed “rules” of WD, I won’t go back to WD without public promise that future devices will be sold honestly, not “a cat in the bag”.

I do not want use the built in software in this new purchase I made either… I want to just use this new drive as a storage device, and not as a backup/synch device… I have updated the firmware and the software, but still  do not want the VCD. on my wd mybook essential…  I want to recover the 668 MB’s that is taking up on the external hard drive…  I want to be able to remove it completely…  not just “HIDE IT”…  Mine is a 1 TB My Book Essential…

Hi.

Galvestonwater wrote:

I do not want use the built in software in this new purchase I made either… I want to just use this new drive as a storage device, and not as a backup/synch device… I have updated the firmware and the software, but still  do not want the VCD. on my wd mybook essential…  I want to recover the 668 MB’s that is taking up on the external hard drive…  I want to be able to remove it completely…  not just “HIDE IT”…  Mine is a 1 TB My Book Essential…

In this thread we’re not discussing about the VCD. WD has announced the possibility to delete it forever will be implemented soon. Even I supose you can do it via Linux already.

In this thread we are discussing about new WD My Passport needs non-system-built-in drivers.

As kivig sayd:

Requirement for any sort of non-system-built-in drivers for a portable drive means it’s not portable anymore.

Regards.

Are people from WD reading this forum?

If you have suggestions or ideas for changes to products please enter them in our Idea Exchange. Be sure to vote for Ideas you like and want to see implemented.

-WendyM

Vote for “Passport shouldn’t require any software installation to work properly” here! (link)

WD, you mention your Ideas and Suggestions forum - WHAT ABOUT COMPAINTS? My day has been ruined by the failure of your Passport device to function, but, worse, I HAVE LOST FILES!!

kivig, the link you posted don’t work.

No this not the reliable mode of Operation. If you are connecting the drive to Windows Xp/Vista/7, then after connecting the drive, go to Device Manager and there will be a Yellow Excalamation mark listed, Right Click on it and update the WD SES drivers. Once the drivers are updated successfully, then you can Hide the SMARTware.

So, bottom line? When is WD going to provide a fix that allows me to use my new drive without VCD or SES or whatever other software?

I just want an external drive I can store files on.  Let me decide if those files are back-up files or just straight files. if I decide to use back-up software, let me decide on what software I use.

I cannot figure out what advantage there is for WD by forcing people to use software they don’t want. Am I missing something?

@ Xan000 - “kivig, the link you posted don’t work.”

Something must be changed. Corrected.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Passport-shouldn-t-require-any-software-installation-to-work/idi-p/1823

mohammedw88

This will not work for people who are connecting their portable drives to there systems at work that are locked (not able to  install software of any kind).