DNS Server error!

Hi all !

I am from India and I use BSNL Broadband wireless access to laptops.  I hv acquired WD TV Live just 2 days back. I have put the WD on network and given static IP and DNS which works on my laptop.  When checking for network connections, error message DNS Server Error is displayed.  The following is the type of setup installed;

1. WD connected to router by wired connection.

2) WD connected to WD MyBook external HDD

1. WD connected to TV by through YGB. 

Laptop not connected to WD.   The Internet connection to the laptop comes through wireless and the WD it is connected through wired LAN.   Tried open DNS and the residential gateway options.  Nothing working.

Can any1 suggest me how to go about to resolve the problem.

azeem wrote:

I have put the WD on network and given static IP and DNS which works on my laptop. 

You need to use a DIFFERENT IP on your WDTV than your laptop.

Tony Thanks for ur suggestion.  I changed the IP address and assigned another for the WD.  Now WD is available on my network.  Laptop connects to router on wireless.  WD connects to router on wired.  Now WD available on network for sharing of files and laptop files available on TV… Super so far !!!

But now i am not able to connect to the internet, whereas my laptop connects without any problem. I use the same DNS as my laptop it says DNS error.  I use open DNS it accepts but does not accept the DNS on “Check Connection”.  It gives blue tick for ip address and hangs on the DNS Check.  Now it is frustrating not be able to browse web content with the WD. Please suggest some workaround please.

When I first hooked up a WD TV Live, DNS did not work for me. It was using the gateway IP for DNS, and I had to manually input on the WD device the DNS IP address from my ISP. Works fine now. Look at what the DNS servers are from your ISP (they should be on your router if you are not sure where to find them), and use that on the WD.

hi mu5 !

Thanks for the suggestion… i hv tried giving the ip of the ISP. Not accepted by WD.  Now i have another suggestion for you to clarify…that is when i connect to internet on my laptop i have to give a username and password for the ISP to connect.  This is not available on the WD network setup.  How do i tell the system to use the username and password to connect to the net ?

Does anyone have a suggestion ?

I may misunderstand yoursetup. Did you connect the WD direct to the internet? Do you have a router on your network? Leave your WD and laptop plugged in to your router with unique IP addresses. Change only the DNS field under Network Settings on the WD to match what your ISP gave you for the router. 

azeem wrote:

…when i connect to internet on my laptop i have to give a username and password for the ISP to connect. 

Well, that’s going to be a problem.

If you have to do like a PPPoE login or something to activate your ISP connection, and your ROUTER will not do that FOR you, then you’re not going to be able to make the WD work.

Thanks tony and mu5 !

Now had a chat with my ISP support people and set the router to PPOE-always on, so that the usernam and password are now set on the router itself and i need not give it manually.

I have assigned 192.168.1.x - for laptop / desktop / WD - x is differerent for each.

Gateway IP : 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

Now, the primary DNS server address i have from my ISP is 218.248.255.146.

The secondary DNS server the ISP has given is 218.248.255.147.

These settings work fine with my present hardware except WD. The same DNS server i try to use on WD but, even while entering the DNS it says “invalid DNS Server” and does not complete network setup. I then use a Open DNS and the “Network Setup” is ok but on the “Check connection” - WD says DNS number is invalid. So ultimately no internet connection to WD.

Just clarify whether WD has some inbuilt regional DNS recognition which disallows the DNS of my ISP (India) since it does not even seem to recognise the DNS given. Now you people out there please help me get this thing up and running.

Azeem,

I’m guessing the WD doesn’t like the 218.248.255.x numbers because of the 255 in the address.   WD would be WRONG about that, but that may be the cause.

To test OTHER dns servers, on your PC, use the program NSLOOKUP to change servers, like this:

C:\Users\Tony>nslookup
Default Server: sol.tonyshome.net
Address: 10.0.0.1

> server 218.248.255.146 <---- Change the server to what you want to test.
Default Server: [218.248.255.146]
Address: 218.248.255.146

> support.wdc.com
Server: [218.248.255.146]

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: support.wdc.com
Address: 129.253.55.56 <--- Make sure you get SOME answer, not an error or timeout.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Azeem,

I’m guessing the WD doesn’t like the 218.248.255.x numbers because of the 255 in the address.   WD would be WRONG about that, but that may be the cause.

To test OTHER dns servers, on your PC, use the program NSLOOKUP to change servers, like this:

C:\Users\Tony>nslookup
Default Server: sol.tonyshome.net
Address: 10.0.0.1

server 218.248.255.146 <---- Change the server to what you want to test.
Default Server: [218.248.255.146]

support.wdc.com
Server: [218.248.255.146]

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: support.wdc.com
Address: 129.253.55.56 <— Make sure you get SOME answer, not an error or timeout.

255 is always a broadcast address. There is no public ip address in the world that uses 255. it’s just plain wrong. I would suggest the user try using 254 at best.

Nathan7545 wrote:
255 is always a broadcast address. There is no public ip address in the world that uses 255. it’s just plain wrong. I would suggest the user try using 254 at best.

Wouldn’t the subnet mask have to be 255.255.0.255 in order for xxx.xxx.255.xxx to be seen as an actual broadcast address?

Yes, if the subnet is 255.255.255.0, then xxx.xxx.xxx.255 is the broadcast address, but if the subnet was 255.255.0.0, then the broadcast address would only be xxx.xxx.255.255  xxx.xxx.yyy.255 and xxx.xxx.255.yyy would both be valid addresses in that net, where yyy is <255.

Nathan7545 wrote:

255 is NOT always a “broadcast address.”   You have to look at ALL FOUR octets to know what a broadcast address is when you’re talking about IP addresses.

Assuming we’re talking Classless Interdomain Routing (CIDR):

An IP address is only a broadcast address if all the bits of the IP address that correspond to the “0” bits in the subnet mask are "1"s.

It would be impossible for the CLIENT to know what the BROADCAST address is since the client is completely unaware of what the HOST’s network size is.

If we’re talking CLASSFUL Routing, then 218.247.255.146 is considered a CLASS C network, where 218.248.255 is a perfectly valid Network Number.    The BROADCAST address for that network would be 218.248.255.255.

Now, if the WD is squawking because of the 255 in ANY octet, then the WD is WRONG to do so.

Oops… :slight_smile: Well said, RG… :slight_smile:

:smileyvery-happy:  And usually I’m the verbose one. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I agree that this sure sounds like a bug… it shouldn’t be rejecting 255 in any given octet…  as we agreed above, xxx.xxx.255.yyy and xxx.xxx.yyy.255 can both be valid addresses and shouldn’t be rejected.

RoofingGuy wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  And usually I’m the verbose one. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a nasty bug in linux that dns fails when using a 255 number in a nameserver

There’s also a wikipedia article about the users ISP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSNL_Broadband

they state that DNS resolution often fails completely. It may be an ISP issue

Phew !!!

Lots of activities going on in here DNS, broadcast, octets…etc… going well above my head !! Though all said and done… thanks Tony… using nslookup i could figure out that 218.248.240.176 and the like open DNS addresses are actually supported by the ISP (BSNL).  I have applied one of these which is actually different from the IP which is used on my laptop / desktop.  Hardbooted the WD and it comes clean with the Network connectivity test and all of the Internet content is open now. 

Whether WD is right or wrong on its rejection of xx.xx.255.xx is a topic to be discussed and is being done, and i think it shd be set right. If somethings like these which are basic are found to be incorrect WD should try to rectify that in subsequent updates. 

Speaking of updates, i would like to have some functionalities built in the interface in the future updates.  Just posting here if somebody out there really is reading it and can incorporate it in their next releases ;

(1) Instead of separate Video/Audio/Photo —> drive selection interface, it could be Drive selection → video / audio / photo.

(2) Switching from one format to another…viz…, After opening and starting to view photos the need for some background music arises… So have to stop photo viewing, go back to music, start some playlist and then come again and start viewing fotos. Could this not be simpler if I am able to switch to other formats from within one format itself.

(3) Internet content regulated with respect to Audio/Video/Photo to be available within the format itself instead of a separate coloum, which means YouTube can be available under Videos itself and Radio stations can be available in Audio and Flicker can be available under Fotos.

Just some of the thoughts i have. Maybe somebody or even WD already has them in their mind and started implementing…but if not just remember…The best can always be improved and done in a better way !!