DLNA supported file formats

I bought a WD Mybook Live NAS drive recently and stored all my media on this. Now I want to buy WD TV live plus to play all my media to the TV using DLNA. I have couple of questions :

1.)  I have a lot of HD media recorded by Sony camcorder stored in .m2ts files. I see that .m2ts format is supported in the specs of WD TV Live plus but not in the DLNA specifications. Then, I believe  the DLNA client in the TV Live Plus cannot stream these files from the DLNA server in the Mybook live.

2.) Can WD TV Live Plus play media from network shares created on the Mybook Live? In which case, I can store these files on a network share and play them ?

Basically I am looking for a solution to play my media (HD) to my TV  streamed from a centralized location like my NAS drive.

Any answers appreciated.

Thanks.

labha wrote:

1.)  I have a lot of HD media recorded by Sony camcorder stored in .m2ts files. I see that .m2ts format is supported in the specs of WD TV Live plus but not in the DLNA specifications. Then, I believe  the DLNA client in the TV Live Plus cannot stream these files from the DLNA server in the Mybook live.

2.) Can WD TV Live Plus play media from network shares created on the Mybook Live? In which case, I can store these files on a network share and play them ?

Basically I am looking for a solution to play my media (HD) to my TV  streamed from a centralized location like my NAS drive.

I’ve got a Live Plus and a MyBookLive NAS.

The MBL is visible on the network, both as a Network Share and as a Media Server.

You can access the MBL anonymously and browse the Public folder structure.  My videos are in “Shared Videos”.

A while back I downloaded a broad selection of files suggeste don AVSforums and, I believe, used by review sites such as AnandTech for testing.  One of them is a Sony Camcorder M2TS, which plays fine via network share (take a few seconds to load but plays smoothly).

Checking via media server, the Sony Camcorder M2TS is visible, loads slightly faster, and plays smoothly.

The MBL pairs nicely with the Live Plus (and Live Hub), I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

-quick edit-

Having said that, some users in the past have complained about camcorder files not playing properly (might have been DV files though, not sure).  If you want to be 100% sure, upload a sample file from YOUR camcorder to MegaUpload or FileServe (or any hosting site) and I’ll be happy to download it and test it on my setup.

Thanks. My main concern has been about a media player that can play(and stream ) m2ts files from a server, as this is not a commonly supported format in set top media players. Just out of curiosity, is there any other media player which can achieve the same functionality, particularly with the AVCHD files?  Have narrowed in on TVL+ anyway…

Thank You