Dlna database and international characters

Hello, 

I have a 3TB WD MBL that I am using as a multimedia server since a few weeks to stream flac files.  I would say that about 90% of the files appear correctly in the database. My main issue has to do with files that have non-ascii character (e.g. éèà).

For some reason, almost all of the files that have non-ascii character in the filename are not treated well in the database. I tried removing the non-ascii character in the filename and/or in the tag of the flac files but it does not work. It is really puzzling because some of the files are ok but most of them are not and I cannot find any clue as to what explains this. There muste be a reason.

I am wondering if anybody here has a clue. Also, if you have any hint toward taking care of this issue, I would be very glad because it is really a pain.

Also, I may add that all the non-working files are found under the “unknown” artist tag and I can listen to them no problem. It is just that the info about the artist somehow gets lost.

Again, thanks for any pointers.

Cheers.

S. Biner.

Hello,

Have you tried using a metadata editor to change the name? Also try rescanning or rebuilding the database after changing the file names. 

Check page  #114 of the User’s Manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf

Hello, 

thanks for the help but yes, I did the following tries :

1. get rid of non-ascii in the filenames

2. get rid of non-ascii in the FLAC tag with an editor

3. rescan and reconstruct the database

I finally found that a lot of defective songs/album are in the “unknow” artist in artist/album category. All the songs with names or album or artist  (e.g. Sinéad O’connor)  with problematic names are there. Son an album has a few songs right under the artist and a few other under the “unknown” artist.  I get this from my cambridge audio stream magic sound 6, from its app and from another app (BubbleUpnp on android).

I really do not know how to get rid of that problem. I know the files are there, it is when the database is built that the problem arises. Also, my CASM6 has no problem displaying the non-ascii characters …

Also, if I try to access the songs via the “folder” search category, I can see the songs with non-ascii character but they are showed in the wrong order, they are displayed first (with the xx track number I use to name my files) and then the songs that are in the database are showed. 

And finally, there is a song with non-ascii character that appears just at the right place for reason I do not understand.

I hope this all makes some sens somehow. 

In the meantime, I just wonder how the database is built and how I could modify my library accordingly.

Cheers.

S. Biner