DLGDiags for DOS and VelociRaptors?

I recently bought a couple of 300GB VelociRaptor drives and tried to test them out. The long and short of it is:

The drives test fine under  WinDLG but fail the quick or extended test under the DOS version with the same error which is.

Missing Test Tracks
 **      Error/Status Code: 0229.**

I thought something was wrong with the DOS version of the test, but I took the same test to an old Dell computer with EIDE drives, expecting it to die the same way and it tested out those drive OK!

According to the download software page for VelociRaptors this test should work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

If the drive tests fine in Windows then it should be ok. Some controllers need specific drivers in order to work properly. In DOS, the controller may not be using the correct driver so it can’t properly communicate with the drive.

Some controllers need specific drivers in order to work properly. In DOS, the controller may not be using the correct driver so it can’t properly communicate with the drive

LB_WD

Thanks for your reply, but I don’t think that’s the case. This is an X58 motherboard and the SATA disk controller is running under control of the chipset, it’s not a third party controller, i.e. It doesn’t need  a separate driver.

Also this is the most recent version of this test (V5.21).  The older version (V5.04f) tests these drives OK under DOS, so I think it is really the test!

My only concern is that since this does’n work that it should be fixed or removed from service so others don’t waste a lot of time trying to figure out  if they have a bad drive, or bad software as I did!

Thanks, for your time,

mtwieck

Thanks for the additional info. I didn’t know that the drive had passed on the older 5.04f version. I passed this along to our engineering and they are now aware and looking into this error.

You can keep an eye on our downloads page to see if a new version of the software is released that you can try to see if it resolves the issue.

1 Like