DL4100 - Can I switch chassis?

A little over 3 years after I got this NAS, it failed. Fan runs, flashing blue light on power switch, blue lights showing on drive bays. Blank screen and it restarts about every 5 minutes.

I see from the forum that I am not the first to have this kind of problem (and just outside the time I could get support from WD - they ignored myy request).

I have critical data on the drives (and hope that they are not corrupted) and wonder if I got a new DL4100 chassis, could I just slot the drives in? I do think the DL4100 has been superseded by a more recent model - could I use one of these if I cant source a DL4100?

Many thanks.

Yeah you can import your disks (in the original order) in another 4 bay WD My Cloud device. The PR4100 would be recommended. Your data remains, your apps/users/shares have to be setup again.

Many thanks

Tfl, I too have a failed PR4100 and do not have a back up of the Raid 5 drives. I want to buy a replacement chassis and slot my drives in, from what you say, I should be able to insert my drives in the correct order (I labelled them) and power up without losing the data? Is this correct? Happy to reset all the apps, shares etc, just want to be able to retrieve the data.

OK, I had a DL4100 fail. Actually two. The first died while under warranty and the replacement died last week. I ordered a PR4100 but now I’m concerned that you mentioned having a PR4100 fail.

If I recover my data, I’m gonna start making plans to move to a Synology and WD can have their sorry junk.

1 Like