DIVX issue (Picture and sound out of sync after 10 minutes)

HI;

I have the HD TV version.1 and been experincing problem with alot of DIVX movies. The issue is visiable after 10 or 15 minutes of movies when sound and picture are out of sync. The movies are in DIVX format and are converted correctly. The all can be played without any issue via PC, XBOX, Laptop (Windows Media Player, VLC and etc).

Also I have tried on another media player box “CYCLONE MKV” and it plays prefectly. After contacting WD support and alot tracing, I have been advised that WD HD TV box does not support DIVX and I need to convert more than 200 movies to another format.

Has anyone tried a proper DIVX movie in AVI container? what is the divx codec version sed for the movie? (Can you send me the video information)

At the moment I am not using the WD and it is packed in its original box becuase it is useless and can not get refund neither from PC World shop or Western Digitial. I have been told they can not do anything and they are not prepared to tell me if it will be fixed in future. Western digital has been very disappointing so far and wate of money.

(The box has been used for 1 hour max)

Here is information on one of the movies I have problem with:-

Video:-

-----------

ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L1
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Duration : 5h 21mn
Bit rate : 1 072 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Standard : NTSC
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.129
Stream size : 2.41 GiB (95%)
Writing library : Lavc51.40.4

Audio:-

ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format_Settings_Mode : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Duration : 1h 57mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 108 MiB (4%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 24 ms

Well I don’t know who told you that the WDTV doesn’t support Divx files, but that’s obviously not true. If that were the case you’d see dozens of posts on this forum about it, and at least I haven’t seen any. I don’t think I’ve encoded a Divx5 file in a very long time, but all my Xvids (which is just a different flavor of MPEG4-ASP) play flawlessly on the WDTV.

Back to your problem, your Divx 5 file is less than “standard”. Even though it is encoded in full NTSC resolution and decent bitrate, suggesting that back when it was encoded it was to be used with a PC or DVD standalone, it uses “simple profile” and L1, a profile/level geared towards devices with a lot less processing power (like cellphones etc…) using lower resolution/bitrate. Now I don’t know if the other 200 movies you got were encoded this way, but they are clearly inferior to what they would have been if they were encoded in ASP with B frames. I don’t know who encoded it, or whether there was a good reason to do that, but if there wasn’t that person could use some reading to develop his encoding skills.

Probably more to the point some of the mux settings look a bit odd (almost no audio preload for example), try to open the file in VirtualdubMod and save it as a new AVI with the default interleaving settings (1 frame, 500ms preload) and see if that improves things.

You say you have the HD TV version.1 which possibly does not support DIvx.

This forum is the WDTV Live only. Check your unit to see which WDTV version you have.

There is the WD TV HD Media Player generation 1 (model:WDAVN00) and also WD TV HD Media Player generation 2 (model:WDBABF0000NBK) as well as the Live version.

HI billstpor;

Thank you for the reply.

With reference to the WD not supporting the DIVX, I had contacted the Western Digital support team and they check the product relase and confirmed DIVX is not supported.

With reference to the encoding, I am using two different software for encoding and they both apply DIVX version 5. This is becuase most of the hardware supoprt the minimum dvix5.

Thw B-frame is not support by some hardware possibly PS3, some standalone DVD player and etc.

The recomendation has been NOT USE B-frame.

All my DIVX works great on other mediaplayers, PC, DVD player and etc. the problem is WD HD TV (version.1)

Below is the list of supported codec and format (Inc. containers) from WD web page:-

( http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2698&p_created=1224519847&p_sid=V7PBORVj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=2728&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjMsMjMmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjQ2JnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9Mi4yNDYmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zdXBwb3J0ZWQgZm9ybWF0&p_li=&p_topview=1)

WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MT2S, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

• MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.

• FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.

• The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.

Pictures JPEG/JPG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

• JPEG only supports compressed RGB format files. BMP only supports uncompressed files. TIFF only supports single layer files. BMP, TIFF/TIF, PNG, and GIF have a max resolution of 2048x2048. JPEG/JPG has a max resolution of 4096x4096 unless it is in a progressive format , then maxes out at 1280x720.

Audio MP3, WMA, MPA, M4A, MP4A, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA

Playlists PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitles SRT, SMI, SUB, **bleep**, SSA

Still doesn’t make any sense… compatibility is defined by the kind of chipset, memory etc… used in the design of the player, and considering the WDTV HD (even the older models) were designed with a chipset that supports up to H.264, support for divx 5 files encoded with “home theater” profile should be guaranteed. The only way it wouldn’t, would be through a grossly badly written firmware.

I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever told you that wasn’t familiar with media players, just took a glance at the specifications of the box and since the word “divx” wasn’t especifically mentioned there, thought the WDTV didn’t support it. In fact it says very clearly that it supports MPEG4.2 ASP, and in other part of the website it even says that it supports “MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 Rectangular shape video decoding up to 1280x720p30 resolution, support for B Pictures, data partitioning and error resiliency. No support for global motion compensation (GMC).”

My guess is that testing for Divx certification, that allows you to put the logo on your player, costs money, and to save a bit they decided not to apply for it. If indeed the WDTV chokes on files encoded with divx 5 ASP (home theater profile), then I’m speechless.

Oh and nope, standalone players play Divx 5 ASP files (encoded with the home theater profile) just fine and have done so for many years, at least those from trusted brands.

Here’s the MediaInfo for a DivX file that works fine on the WD TV Live:

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Duration : 22mn 13s
Bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.130
Stream size : 159 MiB (88%)
Title : Main
Writing library : DivX 6.6.1.4
Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Duration : 22mn 13s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Stream size : 20.4 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
Title : Audio
Writing library : LAME3.97

The only DivX files I’ve had issues with have been those with GMC warppoints, which very few set top boxes can handle anyway.