Display movie information instead of only the movie title

I purchase my WD TV play yesterday and I love it. I use it to watch movies on my hard drive (typically mp4 format).

I wonder if the IT programmer will come up with a decent display format of movies. For example, display a poster with movie information will be greatly appreciatd. Current the interface is very basic. You only get a file name. But you should never stop at being modeiorce. You should strive for perfection. If you ever use XMBC, you will see the difference between your interface and XMBC. Your interface is like Windows 3.1, whereas XMBC is Windows 7.

I also have problems with the remote. You HAVE to point to the box to make sure that it works. I do not appreciate this study. Sometimes I pressed a key and nothing happened, I then realized that I did not point to the box itself. Who came up a design like this?

If possible, please add the apple airplay function to it. There are so many other devices that can do it, (e.g., boxee), why cannot you do it? It will get a lot of customers from apple airplay.

It is an overall good product, but if you can be more attentive to details and make life less frustrating, you will become number 1 in the market.

Are you kidding? Sounds like you’ve never used an IR remote before in your life?

wd_tv_play wrote:

I purchase my WD TV play yesterday and I love it. I use it to watch movies on my hard drive (typically mp4 format).

I also have problems with the remote. You HAVE to point to the box to make sure that it works. I do not appreciate this study. Sometimes I pressed a key and nothing happened, I then realized that I did not point to the box itself. Who came up a design like this?

Its an infra red remote control which means its works by modulating an infra red light beam. The player has to see this beam, which is rather like that of a torch / flashlight but invisible to the naked eye. Some IR remotes have a wider beam then others but generally its always best to point it at the device.

This type of remote is used on the majority of home entertainment devices including TV and DVD players so not very unusual.

Yeah, and I see you’re referring to the Boxee Box…  D-Link chose to use an RF remote instead of IR.   They had to in order to make the keyboard on the back of the remote work.

But RF remotes have a major disadvantage – they don’t work with any but the most expensive universal remote systems.