Display audio by tags

Just breaking in my new TVHD Live+, I want to organize some music files I have by their ID3 tags instead of their filename, preferably in an Artist - Song format. Normally my music files are kept in an Artist - Album/## - song title format so poor file naming isn’t an issue, but when select songs are copied into a separate folder for a mix, suddenly all of the songs are listed with all of track 01s, then all of track 02, etc. Any way to have the box read the tags and then organize as Artist - Song Title?

The only option I’ve found is the audio track display under music settings, this isn’t it.

Spent over an hour going through this forum for an answer.  Nothing yet, so hoping to keep this thread active.

Just picked up a WD TV Live Plus, to play files from my Live Hub in a second room.  Love (mostly) the interface on the Live Hub.  Live Plus is annoying in that when you go to a folder, it displays the songs in alphabetical order, rather than the order in which they are found in the folder.  It doesn’t seem to make a difference when I select display by file name.

The only time the files are displayed (and played) in the right order is when play “By Album”.

Either I’m missing something obvious or this device is being silly.

saliwok wrote: Live Plus is annoying in that when you go to a folder, it displays the songs in alphabetical order

That’s probably why I’ve never noticed.  The original .mp3 deck I had in my car played strictly alphabetical, regardless of track # tag or anything else, so for 10 years I’ve been naming all my files:

Iron Maiden

1982 - The Number Of The Beast

01 - Invaders

02 - Children Of The **bleep**

03 - The Prisoner

04 - 22 Acacia Avenue

05 - The Number Of The Beast

06 - Run To The Hills

07 - Gangland

08 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

etc…

Never had them playback wrong on my WDTV’s :wink:

(And no, I’m not suggesting others, with thousands of files, go and rename everything… just realizing why the wonky sort from WD has never affected me.)

saliwok wrote:

Spent over an hour going through this forum for an answer.  Nothing yet, so hoping to keep this thread active.

Just picked up a WD TV Live Plus, to play files from my Live Hub in a second room.  Love (mostly) the interface on the Live Hub.  Live Plus is annoying in that when you go to a folder, it displays the songs in alphabetical order, rather than the order in which they are found in the folder.  It doesn’t seem to make a difference when I select display by file name.

The only time the files are displayed (and played) in the right order is when play “By Album”.

Either I’m missing something obvious or this device is being silly.

Well, the order they’re displayed in the FOLDER is whatever you tell your computer to sort by; your computer isn’t doing anything “Magical” in that regard.    But, I’m like RG.    iTunes labeled all my tracks with the track number followed by the name, so in an Alpha Sort, you actually get TRACK order instead.

So no, the device isn’t being silly, it’s just doing what it thinks it should…  

BTW, are you accessing the Hub’s music files via a NETWORK SHARE or vie the MEDIA SERVER function of the Live Plus?  That MIGHT have something to do with it.

I’m just sharing over the network, I’ll use a DLNA interface if I have to to get the sorting done via tags, TVersity does the job well enough. My music folder looks like this: Music > [Artist - Album] > ## - songtitle.mp3.

In iTunes the ID3 tags are read so it is sorted by Artist, Album, then track number. When I open a shared folder with the TV Live+ I would like the ID3 tags to be read and the folder be organized alphabetically by Artist - Song. I typically copy files into a second separate folder from my main music collection for a unique mix (just a playlist on random for a party or something), where the track number is irrelevant.

You could always use a playlist and have them sorted anyway you like.

My filenames are numbered (by iTunes).  I don’t have this problem in any other player (PS3, Winamp, Windows MP, etc.), or, for that matter, the WDTV Live Hub.

I am accessing the Live Hub as a media server, and accessing the files by Folder.

Tried again to switch between display by filename or display by title (Music settings -> Audio track display) and I don’t see any difference.  Seems to me that this would be the logical place to fix this issue, and yet, it seems to do nothing.

Makes me annoyed enough to want to return this thing (I’m NOT renaming 12,000 songs).