Disks OK but deteriorated RAID and data lost

No problem. I did the best I could, but you win some and you lose some, it’s just life I guess.

As a last ditch effort, there are advanced data recovery programs and/or services out there, but they tend to be very expensive. Just avoid the one’s who commonly SPAM forums and always read reviews from multiple sources if you decide to go that route.

You should label those two drives and take them offline, just in case.

The WD forum blocked me one more time.

I’m trying Stellar software, it found thousands of pictures in preview scan (12 hours), PC Magazine review says sometimes they show a lot o files as “ready to be restored” to sell you the licence and at the end you have just some good ones… but I will try it anyway. I will let you know later if you want.

One more time I just wanted to say you THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your help!

Very bad idea. IMHO

Much better alternatives exist. Google reviews from multiple sites. Ignore positive reviews, which are usually fake, and look for common patterns among the negative reviews.

Also, companies who SPAM forums tend to be some of the worst, because they can’t get customers any other way.

Do you have any other you think is better ?

I can’t make any specific recommendations because I haven’t lost a hard drive since switching from WD hard drives to Toshiba hard drives almost a decade ago, I don’t use RAID, and I have three backup copies of everything.

However, I can probably point you in the right direction. Start by searching for anything pertaining to the WD My Book Live drive wipe incident that happened in the summer of 2021. The forums are filled with information about what people did to recover their data. The NAS device was different, but the Linux EX4 partion format makes it more than relevant.

Be very cautious, because the incident was a magnet for data recovery vultures seeking to take advantage of desperate users who didn’t have backups.