Disk space not decreasing?

Hello,

Brand new to the forum and new Mycloud owner. I purchased this because I wa running low on disk space on my C drive. I have moved more than 36GB of pictures and video from my C drive to the cloud using cut and paste. Yet somehow I am still low on disk space?

I started with <1GB free on drive C, while moving the files, I have seen it go as high as 9GB free, but then the next time I look it is back to <1GB free. Please help me if you can! Thank you in advance.

Have you Defragged your hard drive lately. Try that and see what happens.

Click on Start>Control Panel>System and Security and then under Admin Tools Defragment your hard drive.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Hi cat0w,

Thank you for your reply. I did perform a defragmentation about three weeks ago, in the hopes of fixing my disk space issue. It didn’t help all that much, which is why I bought the WD Mycloud.

defragmentation never increases free space.

Are you sure you’re actually MOVING the files, and not just COPYING the files?

Hi ThreeEyedMinion,

I am using cut and paste, not copy and paste. I have a new working theory that may explain what I am experiencing: I was so low on disk space that I could not even install Windows updates or virus software definitions and updates. Maybe as I’m freeing space, those programs are finally able to perform and install updates? Still seems like way too much disk space being consumed…still unsure.

Windows automatically create some shadow copies of the files on the system drive. This is a setting under system protection. You can turn system protection off momentarily to erase these shadow copies.

You should also run chdsk /f on your system disk to make sure the NTFS file system information is OK.

did you empty your trash? 

Etupes wrote:

Windows automatically create some shadow copies of the files on the system drive. This is a setting under system protection. You can turn system protection off momentarily to erase these shadow copies.

You should also run chdsk /f on your system disk to make sure the NTFS file system information is OK.

I looked into this a bit. It only seemed to apply top system files. Does this happen with photos and videos as well?

Ralphael wrote:

did you empty your trash? 

I have emptied my recycle bin and gone through disk cleanup. I have removed unwanted programs as well.

Alright, I am almost 110% sure that you have a virus and this is along the lines of what some viruses would do. Once you have all your files copied over, I would suggest that you re-install your OS and simply wipe your drive clean. Be very careful on any executable programs that you have copied over to your WD Cloud as they may also be infected.

BTW It has been a long time since I’ve used cut and paste, but are you sure that cutting and pasting are erasing the original files? especially across a different drive? 

Yes, on the system drive, all files are shadowed unless specified otherwise in Windows 8 (possibility to limit to system files).

Make sure you run chkdsk /f on the system disk to verify your NTFS information before you clean/reinstall.

What size hard disk do you have?

Do you have security on you computer? If yes, when was the last time you scanned your computer for virus and spyware?

Download and run the malicious software removal tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)