Disk configuration

Hi, I’m deciding between the MyCloud EX4 and a Synology DS414. One of the features of the Synology that makes it attractive to me is the ability to start with fewer than four drives, and add additional drives later, and also the ability to mix drives with different capacities in the array. Are these two “features” available with the EX4 also. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

rickstones wrote:
Hi, I’m deciding between the MyCloud EX4 and a Synology DS414. One of the features of the Synology that makes it attractive to me is the ability to start with fewer than four drives, and add additional drives later, and also the ability to mix drives with different capacities in the array. Are these two “features” available with the EX4 also. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes - you can start with fewer than four drives (if you buy the zero drive system). You could put two drives in and set it to a RAID 1 array, then later migrate that to a RAID 5 array with the third and fourth drives.

You can also have different sized drives. Now if you want a RAID configuration, then it will be set to the lowest drive size, but you can set the remaining space as a JBOD volume.

For example, say you put in a 2TB and a 3TB drive. You could setup a 2TB RAID 1 configuration, and assign the left over 1TB space as a JBOD volume.

Tony

Just wondering if you would have to reformat all the disks and start all over if you added two drives later. Or can you keep your original data and goto raid 5 with out having to reformat everything?

Thanks

Pat

Thank you Tony. Very helpful!

I have two existing WD Greens that I wanted to start out using (500GB and 2TB), and I planned to purchase one 4TB Red. I eventually want to migrate to four 4TB Red drives, but Santa doesn’t think I’ve been a good enough boy to be able to manage it right away. I may need to do it one disk at a time. Any thoughts on the logistics of swapping drives? From your previous response, it sounds like the 500GB drive will limit my RAID if I leave it in with the bigger drives. For example, if I wanted to set up a RAID-5 array with my three disks (500GB, 2TB, 4TB), would the RAID be limited to 3-quarters the size of my smallest drive? If so, I don’t think I’d want to use it. 

So, if I toss my 500GB drive, and (using the 2TB and the 4TB drives) set up a 2TB RAID-1 array with a 2TB JBOD, could I migrate to RAID-5 after I added another 4TB drive later? Would that require a reinitialization, or could it automatically migrate? 

Download the manual and read through the RAID configuration section. That should answer your questions. 

We do allow migrating from a two disk RAID 1 configuration to a 3 or four disk RAID 5 configuration without data loss.

We don’t yet have what is called online data migration. That is where you have say four 2TB drives and want to migrate to four 4TB drives. That will come in a firmware release early next year.

You could also use that 500GB drive as a separate JBOD drive along with your two drives in RAID 1 mode.

Heheh… Looks like autocorrect got the best of that post!

woops…