Disconnect the power outlet for storm

cpt_paranoia wrote:

If you want to turn it off when you are away, do not simply unplug the power. Use the Dashboard to do a controlled shutdown, then unplug power and Ethernet.

I will second this statement. Don’t simply unplug the power to the WD My Cloud without instructing the unit to go through a shut down procedure. I turn mine off from time to time and was having trouble with certain files (always video files for some reason). These troubles went away when I started to use the shut down option that one can trigger through the Dashboard. What I do is issue the shut down option through SSH. I currently use an app on my Android smartphone ( SSH Button) to send the SSH command. See the following WD Support document for more information on SSH: How to enable SSH (Secure Shell) on a My Cloud

The SSH command to issue a shutdown is “/sbin/shutdown -h -P now”

One can create a batch file that will run a command line SSH program like Plink ( see PuTTY) to issue that shutdown command from a Windows PC.

Note that even though the WD My Cloud is shut down the Ethernet port will still indicate a connection if the WD My Cloud is not unplugged (and no the WD My Cloud Ethernet port does not appear to support wake-on-lan). Once shut down either remove power or used a switched power strip (or switched surge protector) to turn off power. Personally I have lots of electronics on switched surge protectors that I turn off when not in use. Putting them all one one or two switched surge protectors makes it easy to turn them all off at once.

1 Like