Disappointment to say the least

Expectations were really not that high when I purchased a WD MyClound… But the idea of n “At Home” cloud drive sold me over. So let me say at the first… not even my LOW expectations ere reached.
1- Interface - Basically none…  No Windows Explorier linkage in My Files Explorier … even MS My Drive and Drive One has theis…   The web linkage is often difficult to get to not to mention a password designed by WD with Captials and Special characters does not let users use common passwords…  On top of that transfers trough this interface are SLOW.
2 - USB…  Basically VERY DIFFICULT to attach second drive(Chain)… Top that off you MUST use WiFi or USB Device to transfer (load) you core files SINCE YOU CAN NOT attach a computer directly to this drive!!!.  I for one had a TB of files I wanted on this drive but you can not connect a DRIVE directly to the COMPUTER!!! 

3 - Company Concern is NEAL… ZERO…   In all the bad articles, reviews, user problems, connection problems… WD has really ignored these problems… no new updates or design changes… instead relying of forums to work aaround or  through to make the drives work…  The sorry disign in the interface has been listed since the early reviews… 

Solutions on  the horizon… Already other companies are addressing the personal cloud issue…  just hope I can find a ■■■■■■ to buy my old on on ebay.

I am not affiliated with WD in any way aside from purchasing/using their products.  Any statements made here are mine and not a representation of WD.

I am also not trying to defend WD but more so provide some constructive criticism from my personal experience.  Anything taken or not from this post is left to the reader.

1.  I can \ into my wd perfectly fine from my windows7/8.1/10TP platforms as well as my surface pro 3.  I can smb into my wd from my ubuntu host and my ubuntu virtual machine.  To say there is no windows explorer linkage may possibly be right if it weren’t for the fact that the device can actually show up under the network category in windows explorer.  Web linkage your referring to I’m assuming is the wd app and I have no problems with that in regard to both passwords and transfer speed.

2.  USB I can’t comment on as I am in the process of acquiring a second 3tb mycloud.  Connecting directly to the computer I have done this using a crossover cable or (voiding my warranty) attaching the drive to my tower via an esata caddy.  

3.  There are very few companies I personally expect high responses from.  Having been on the side of programming for a time I can honestly say that I understand the pressures that a company and even programmers face on a daily basis to fix what consumers want fixed as opposed to maintaining the core code for basic working operations.  Not every scenario is the same and while the same code can be run on the same hardware the end result will never always be identical.  This is then cascaded further by users not having the same environment and/or equipment when acquiring and utilizing these types of equipment.  I believe you should be entitled to return your item and receive compensation (refund, exchange for a different brand product of the same line etc.) but I cannot speak for wd or the establishment you purchased your items from.

Having said all that I personally am enjoying my mycloud device.  Granted I voided my warranty, and I am not afraid to admit it, the first day I purchased it but I already knew it was going to happen which is why I didn’t pay for the extended warranty.

The time I spent to get my device to work the way it is now has been worth it considering that I have the equipment and the connection to support it and it has literally helped me to break my dependance on hosted cloud services where my data is always off on someone else’s hardware.  

Just my humble thoughts and opinions about the device.  

I purchased a WD My Book Live yesterday and am so confused on how to set it up that I am thinking of getting rid of it already.

How do I access it?

Why do I need a Cloud account with WD?

Where exactly are my files stored?

How do I get my other computers/mobiles to access my files?

So many questions and can’t find the answers.

This unit has been one of the hardest things to understand that I have ever purchased. WD should remember that not everyone is a computer genius.

If you want a Explorer like feel with a dual pane window try the free WinSCP:  http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

+1 for WinSCP.   I do have an issue where some commands cause the connection to stop responding however and the command to fail, for example apt-get remove purge.

I have a totally different experience:

1- Interface - Basically none… I can easily browse contents of MC using Windows Explorer, Ubuntu file explorer, & Mac finder

2 - USB…  Basically VERY DIFFICULT to attach second drive(Chain)… Top that off you MUST use WiFi or USB Device to transfer (load) you core files SINCE YOU CAN NOT attach a computer directly to this drive!!!.  I for one had a TB of files I wanted on this drive but you can not connect a DRIVE directly to the COMPUTER!!!  … 

Network transfer at gb ethernet is preferedI connected a 4 TB drive without any problems
I believe the MC CAN be directly attached to your computer using a NETWORK cable

3 - Company Concern is NEAL… ZERO…   In all the bad articles, reviews, user problems, connection problems… WD has really ignored these problems… no new updates or design changes… instead relying of forums to work aaround or  through to make the drives work…  The sorry disign in the interface has been listed since the early reviews… 

Everything read on the internet MUST be true.