Disable cloud redirect

I made the apparent mistake of allowing OS 5 to be installed, now when I go to https://privateURL it takes forever for it to redirect to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.remotewd.com URL. This is unacceptable. That we’re having to rely on WD’s DNS, the Internet, and anything else that could possibly go wrong with a redirect, not to mention the security risks that raises, I just want that junk turned off. I have a dozen+ of these devices and will not allow any other to go to OS5 until I can figure out how to disable it. How do I turn 100% of the cloud features off so this just acts as a local NAS?

3 Likes

@TubaOrNotTuba The only way to disable the HTTPS redirect and force “local NAS” is to block the IP of My Cloud at your network router.

Works like a champ. Sad that WD is so clueless as to think everyone wants to rely on their infrastructure to access OUR equipment.

@WDStaff, Are there any plans to make this easier to disable without the NAS needing to be fully blocked from accessing the Internet ? Not everyone wants to access their device via a WD URL.

2 Likes

I remember playing with this a while back. . . .if I block access at the router; it also blocks access to other subnets within the router. For me, that is a problem for VPN access (VPN loggin gets assigned a different subnet from the other devices on the NAS)

This behaviour is really not acceptable from WD. We bought the “professional” unit, thinking it might be intended for folk who have some idea what they’re doing, but apparently it’s just a toy and WD want to treat us like children…

2 Likes

If I had known the redirect thing was part of OS5 I would not have installed it. This cloud redirect nonsense is totally unacceptable.
WD needs to come out with a way to turn this nonsense off immediately.

1 Like

See this thread, nice explanation by WD as well as a workaround in case you’re feeling experimental

This issue is one of my OS/5 pet peeves.

I was wondering what happened to it.

I really DO NOT LIKE the OS/5 redirect. . . .for all the reasons posted in the linked thread.