Direct Connection with Macbook Air

Hi all,

I’ve read lots of posts about this and may have missed a crucial detail but haven’t seen this exact situation.

I’m trying to connect my Macbook Air to my My Book Live to do a fast backup. I’m using a USB Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor into a standard Ethernet cable connected to my My Book. In network I see “USB Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor” and it obtains an IP via DHCP. I’ve also set the IP manually and in both cases can now see MyBook Live and My Book Live-backup in Finder under Shared. When I click on either they try to connect for some time before disappearing. I can’t acces via the URL either. Feels like there is just one way communication or an access issue.

All help greatly appreciated, I have to turn my Air back in as the trackpad has broken and need to backup desperately!!

Thanks,

Lee

You will need to use a crossover cable or adapter for direct connection. The cable included only works if you’re using a router inbetween.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Thanks for the reply. I got one of those and same behaviour. Is there any additional network config I need to do?

Thanks,

Lee

It really would be good if there was a documented WD procedure. I’ve seen so many posts with people struggling with this. My wifi time machine backup bombs out all the time! Come on WD!