Digital Pass-Through question

I currently have my WDTV Live configured for digital pass-through via hdmi and routed to my AVR. I’m adding a new piece of audio gear (DAC/headphone amp) and really hoping for a setup like this: use hdmi digital pass-through for video media and use optical digital pass-through for music or alternately send digital pass-through to both hdmi AND optical all the time. Am I correct in assuming the WDTV Live cannot do this and I need to go into settings each time and flip the audio output setting?

If that is true, I suppose I could buy a second WDTV and dedicate one to video and one to audio playback. Or can anybody recommend a similar media player that could accomplish what I want to do?

Thanks for any help.

Hello, unfortunately you are correct the WD TV cannot be set in a way that changes audio signal automatically.

This “should” work … you’ll need to spend about $16 for an extra bit of hardware

Example:

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 but my Audio Receiver only has Optical Digital … so i purchased a HDMI Audio Extractor … which i have set to “Pass-Through”
So … i get 5.1 Audio through my Audio Receiver and … but through HDMI to the TV is only Stereo
Now … i’m guessing if i had a AVR with HDMI then it would be 5.1 as well

So … if you had an Audio Extractor, set your WDTV to HDMI Pass-through then the Audio will be through HDMI and Optical at the same time

According to the specs of my HDMI Audio Extractor … it should work

This converter has 3 Audio model:
PASS: HDMI pass mode. The audio and video from the HDMI output,SPDIF and L/R no output.
2CH: 2 channel stereo mode. The HDMI / SPDIF and L/R output stereo audio.
5.1CH: 5.1 channel mode.The HDMI/SPDIF output 5.1 channel audio,L/R no output

Here’s my RPi2 setup … also below is the link to where you can buy the HDMI Audio Extractor and for more Information.

http://s15.postimg.org/kvzx09trv/RPI2_HDMIAE.jpg

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Joey!