Difference between raid 1 with 2 mirrored and raid 10

If I set up a 4X1 GB sharespace to raid 1, then I get 2 mirrored drive banks. Can I direct which data goes on 1 mirrored bank vs. the other. How can I see how much storage is on 1 mirrored bank vs. the other.  

If I set up a raid 10, does storage alternated between 1 mirrored storage bank and the other? How does it differ from raid 1

What I was wanting to do is store certain data on 1 mirrored drive set, and store other data on the other mirrored drive set in a 4 drive sharespace and I thought I could do it setting up raid 1…But I can not tell which mirrored set gets the data or how to put it on 1 set vs the other.  please give advice…thanks

canongate wrote:

If I set up a 4X1 GB sharespace to raid 1, then I get 2 mirrored drive banks. Can I direct which data goes on 1 mirrored bank vs. the other. How can I see how much storage is on 1 mirrored bank vs. the other.

Yes, one mirror will be called mapped as a primary volume and the second mirror can be mapped as an extended volume.

canongate wrote:

If I set up a raid 10, does storage alternated between 1 mirrored storage bank and the other? How does it differ from raid 1

On 1+0 (10) has the same fault tolerance as RAID 1 and the same overhead, but instead of creating 2 mirrors, the first mirror itself will be striped for speed. In other words RAID 10 is implemented as a striped RAID (0) with RAID 1 segments, so you have a single volume instad of 2 volumes as in 2 mirrors.

For what you want, 2 mirrors will do.