Difference between models

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the two models:

WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN and the WDBPUF0000NBK-AESN

Thanks.

WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN    is the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player  (aka SMP) Released: 2011

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1011&lang=en

WDBPUF0000NBK-AESN   is the WDTV Media Player (aka Personal Edition)  Released: 2014

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1015&lang=en

Hardware is the same (same chipset,kernal) but … the WDBPUF0000NBK-AESN  WDTV Media Player (aka Personal Edition)  does Not Have Netflix

mikemeade wrote:

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the two models:

WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN and the WDBPUF0000NBK-AESN

Thanks.

If you ask to buy. Look a little this forum. Do not buy the WDBPUF0000NBK-AESN At least until you update the firmware and see here that goes well. The device has many problems with mp4 readings and other problems and expect Update 4 months without news.

trilogico wrote:

The device has many problems with mp4 readings and other problems and expect Update 4 months without news.

True … but it affects some users more than others

Personally about 10% of my MP4’s won’t play (not that i have a lot … i mostly have MKV)

But a quick remux (couple of minutes) of the “Non-Playable” MP4 fixes the problem

Hopefully a new Firmware Update will fix the problem  (but i don’t know when it will be released)

Personally, i’d keep an eye on the Announcements forum everyday

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements

JoeySmyth wrote:

trilogico wrote:

The device has many problems with mp4 readings and other problems and expect Update 4 months without news.

True … but it affects some users more than others

Personally about 10% of my MP4’s won’t play (not that i have a lot … i mostly have MKV)

But a quick remux (couple of minutes) of the “Non-Playable” MP4 fixes the problem

Hopefully a new Firmware Update will fix the problem  (but i don’t know when it will be released)

Personally, i’d keep an eye on the Announcements forum everyday

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements

True, doing remux the mp4 reading is solved. But most TVs can play everything, like almost all media players and even the old WD. Why spend the money if you then have to waste your time doing remux. Best not to buy any device or any other brand that problem.

Besides not reading device mp4 many have other problems that can be read on the forum

well, just have to wait for a new firmware update then … which will hopefully address the many issues :smiley:

JoeySmyth wrote:

well, just have to wait for a new firmware update then … which will hopefully address the many issues :smiley:

Hi, but did you feel than 4 months is too long for a update!, people can’t use something with such a great bugs, resets, missing shared information, very slow network navigation, also i can’t understand why they sell a new device with the same hardware that the live one, live is from 2011 and wd tv is from 2014, if we buy something new we spect that it will be better and the older version, but that is false, is better the one of 2011(i got one) that the new in 2014.

I’m really tired to look here and see that there is no news about new firmware, who fix  the bugs?, kids?, because 4 months is too long, you can’t tell a costumer that ask for support, come in 4 months, maybe we got the solution of the actual problems.

Sorry for my bad mood, if realy in anger with that matter!

marcelg wrote:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Hi, but did you feel than 4 months is too long for a update!, people can’t use something with such a great bugs, resets, missing shared information, very slow network navigation, also i can’t understand why they sell a new device with the same hardware that the live one, live is from 2011 and wd tv is from 2014, if we buy something new we spect that it will be better and the older version, but that is false, is better the one of 2011(i got one) that the new in 2014.

I’m really tired to look here and see that there is no news about new firmware, who fix  the bugs?, kids?, because 4 months is too long, you can’t tell a costumer that ask for support, come in 4 months, maybe we got the solution of the actual problems.

Sorry for my bad mood, if realy in anger with that matter!

Completely agree with you

Haven’t been here since I last posted more than 2 years ago. Still using my 4yr old gen2 wdtv live that i use atleast 4 hours daily. Got a couple of questions. 

So this is now the only WD TV version listed in their site? I remember having multiple versions.

Does this new one really have the same old specs like marcelg mentioend? That **bleep**.

For subs, Is there still no full support for *.ssa subs (*.a.s.s)? I mean still no styled subs usually used in anime. And does it still have a problem with displaying multiple substreams (not sure what it’s called) like when while one person is saying something then at the middle of that another person talks, the first subs disappears to be replaced with the new one?

What exactly is wrong with the new one regarding mp4 problems? Is there a specific encoding setting that this new wd tv doesn’t support? I pretty much only watch mp4 (anime) on mine and haven’t got a problem aside from when the encoder accidentally use 10bit/hi10p.

Anyway just wondering if mine dies, if i should go ahead and get this new one or look for the old versions. Thanks :smiley:

ecchi wrote:

Does this new one really have the same old specs like marcelg mentioend? That **bleep**.

If you want Netflix, buy the old Live Streaming … if not the new model is the same hardware (but without Netflix)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/Difference-between-models/m-p/832477#M1494

If you want to compare specs/hardware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV

ecchi wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the new one regarding mp4 problems?

Tested several non playing ones … play fine now on Lastest Firmware 1.02.17  (released 5 hours ago)

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-WD-TV-Media-Player-Firmware-Version-1-02-17-12-16-14/td-p/834434

ecchi wrote:
For subs, Is there still no full support for *.ssa subs (*.a.s.s)? I mean still no styled subs usually used in anime. And does it still have a problem with displaying multiple substreams (not sure what it’s called) like when while one person is saying something then at the middle of that another person talks, the first subs disappears to be replaced with the new one?

Still no proper ssa support. And what format are your multiple substreams in? So far I’ve only seen this done with burned in subs for one track and an overlaid SRT or SSA.

1 Like

@ JoeySmyth - Don’t really need netflix so the new one is fine I guess with the mp4 fix. Though I would like to know why exactly it wasn’t working before…

@ Techflaws - Ah that’s disappointing… you’d think after 4 years it would have improved. But I guess that’s fine for now since almost all the MKV anime are 10bit. Any news if hardware players in the future can support it?

Bout the subs when you say burned in, if you mean hardsubbed then no problems there. Not sure what you meant by overlaid but yeah it happens on both ssa/srt. This is really noticeable when watching the karaoke of an anime when both the romaji and english subs are supposed to be both on screen and one of them only shows up. Another thing I forgot was with ssa, it shows the i’m not sure what it’s called, comments after the dialogue that are in { }? It’s not supposed to be visible and can only be seen in sub editing software like aegisub. So even if it’s just one short sentence but that “comment” is long then it takes up most of the screen lol.

ecchi wrote: But I guess that’s fine for now since almost all the MKV anime are 10bit. Any news if hardware players in the future can support it?

You’ll need to search for a player that has “Software Decoding” as well as hardware decoding… AFAIK there are no Hardware decoders for Hi10p (10bit)

eg. i know Nvidia doesent support it … here’s a quote from the kodi forum

I personally wrote to NVIDIA some months back to ask if they had plans to implement GPU processing for this profile and they said “no” in no uncertain terms

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165716

1 Like

ecchi wrote:
Bout the subs when you say burned in, if you mean hardsubbed then no problems there.

I usually don’t watch Anime but when I saw a movie with several subs ons screen, one was hardsubbed and the other was an SSA stream that was rendered additionally over the video (so I don’t know if there are actually players that need to show two items simultaneously).