Difference between BT and Sky broadband routers

I have two sisters whom I have bought each an identical WD TV Live and identical 2TB WD My Book NAS drive.

For one sister I connected the devices to a BT broadband router. I ran the WD TV Live box media server and it was able to see the WD NAS drive as a Twonky server. I was then able to play an MKV and a VOB file stored on the WD NAS drive. I swapped from fixed cable connectivity to wifi and both files played.

For my second sister, I set up her devices in exactly the same way I did for my first sister except the router was a Sky Broadband router.  I ran the WD TV Live box media server but it was not able to see the WD NAS drive Twonky media server either over fixed cable or wifi. I know the WD TV Live can access the internet as I can run the BBC iPlayer. I know the WD TV Live can see the WD NAS drive because I can set up shares to it (Some reason shares don’t allow WD TV Live to play VOB files) and if I take the Sky router out of the equation the WD TV LIve sees the WD NAS drive.

My opinion is that the Sky router is blocking somehow.

Does anyone know why the Sky router is causing the problem or even better does anyone have a solution?

Hi mjhadden, see if the Sky router has any active firewalls that might be blocking the NAS.