Didnt know i wasnt susposed to format my passport wd3200me with partition magic

so I got this passport wd3200me portable hard drive for christmas a coupple of years ago the first thing I did after testing it to see if it worked was open it up to figure out if I could put the hard drive inside my laptop (thus voiding the warrinty). inside I found a wd3200bevt-00zat0 which was sata and thus not compatible. next I tried to reformat it with Partition magic to install linux but this failed and now I can not read or write at all to it. my pc says it has 0gb and the mac says it has 2tb. also it has started makeing a clicking noise sometimes. I have figured out sence that the firmware on this drive is located on the drive itsself and I must have erased it. is there any way to fix this?

i have the same problem, my computer has a trojan and i want to flush the hard drive but i have nothing to back my computer up onto. can someone help??

Try deleting the existing partition then format.

Joe

thats what i tired to do. I deleted the existing partitions and tried to reformat but when I deleted the partitions the disk didnt work anymore because as I understand it the firmware for the drive is on the drive itsself as a partition and I deleted it. now the computer cannot access it. except to know that there is a drive there and it doesnt even know what size it is anymore

Partition magic says init Error 100 Partition Table is bad and will not open.

The mac responds with an Input/Output error whenever I try to erase or partition it in Disk utility it also says the USB Serial Number is 202020202020202020202020202020 even after the WD +Turbo driver is installed

This is what the WD Data lifeguard diagnostics program tells me:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number: 1.75
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 08:44:35, February 01, 2011
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Unit Serial Number:
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
Test Time: 08:44:44, February 01, 2011
Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Unit Serial Number:
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 09-Sector #0-1::Write Zeros error!
Test Time: 08:44:55, February 01, 2011

I am installing the WD fat 32 formater now to see if it will help any

WD fat 32 formater Tells me

Error: Drive size is too small or not supported (WDWD)

also I tried attaching it to my computer via sata and it is not detected however the computer does not boot into windows from my other sata drive unless this one is unplugged.