Diagnostic Result

My Book Essentials. I ran the Diagnostics and it says Test failed. All three of the tests. OK, I know my external drive failed, but now what should I do? As usual, the HELP screens only tells you what something means, but never how to correct a problem.

HELP!!

Dana110

If the drive is still in warranty contact WD for a replacement.

Joe

The unit is about 4 yrs old, so not under warranty.

I want to add more information that might help.

Dana110 wrote:

My Book Essentials. I ran the Diagnostics and it says Test failed. All three of the tests. OK, I know my external drive failed, but now what should I do? As usual, the HELP screens only tells you what something means, but never how to correct a problem.

HELP!!

Dana110

Total story on my case:
Had trouble updating the software. Kept getting a ½ second warning that was too quick to read. Finally got 2.4.17 to install. But in the software it says it is 2.4.10.
Starting Smartware for the 1st time it said my external drive had no partition it could write too. (I believe that is right)
So I erased the drive and formatted using Windows formatter.
All the software seemed to work OK. I could make setting changes etc, but when I told it to “Back up now” it would not do anything.
So, now I’m back where I started.
Diagnostics, all three, said that the drive failed.
What do I do next?

I have not seen anyone with an answer that can help me. The drive is still giving the same results. Another appeal for help from this great forum.

Thanks…Dana