Device no longer visible on home network

Hi, 

I have had a read through various posts, but I’m not sure I have spotted the issue I appear to have.

My device appears to have been working on the newtowrk for several months. Nothing has changed on my network, no router changes etc but neither my MAC or PC can “see” it on the network.

If I launch the backup (smartware?) on the PC the interface has the backup and restore tabs greyed out.

Help? Please?

I can’t back anything up and I can restore anything… (sobbing now)

How were you accessing the shares on the drive?  Were you using the My Cloud desktop app?

Unplug the power to the router at the router and wait one minute then plug it back in. Wait for everything to reset and then see if your My Cloud shows on the network.

1 Like

Thanks, ripping the power lead out did the job, but how rubbish that I needed to.

I was hoping this was a fit and forget solution - how wrong I was!

Thanks for numerous replies :-) 

Novice1 wrote:

Thanks, ripping the power lead out did the job, but how rubbish that I needed to.

In my experience, all routers will do that at some point in time.  I have a Linksys router that I have to powercycle about once every couple of months to 6 months.  It works fine otherwise. 

Novice1 wrote:

I had a similiar issue, but my router was faulty and I had to replace it.

In both of our cases the WDMC was working fine, it was our routers causing the issue :smiley:

Just got a WD My Cloud 2TB yesterday. Initial setup was okay. I created a couple of folders under “Public” and added a couple of users, even copied a few large files to the new folders. Everything seemed okay. Today, the device disappeared from the “computers” section in Explorer (Windows 7) and no longer shows under “Networks”. It does show as a “Media Device” and as “Storage” in Explorer, however, and is assigned a valid IP by the router. Don’t know what changed.

I tried unplugging the drive and my router (Cradlepoint MBR95), but no change. I reran the setup, no help. The My Cloud web interface seems to work and the device is shown correctly.

I ran a “quick diagnosis” okay. I’m trying a “full dianosis” now, but it’s still at 10%, so nothing to report there, yet.

Any new suggestions?

It’s a miracle!  This afternoon, the My Cloud started showing up as a computer on my network.  No explanation why, it’s just there - on 3 different computers where it did not show before.  But, like anything else that’s fixes itself, I’m sure the problem will be back.  So, I’m still wondering what the fix might be.

Mine sometimes becomes un visable and after a router reset comes back again sort of suggests to be it is my router.  I have a BT HH5 and anyone who has one knows they need a reset once in a while !