Device Name and Serial not visible

I just bought a My Cloud 4TB.  I opened Dashboard and changed the default device name.  All was well.  The device was visible and accessible on the network.

Before configuring further, I thought updating the firmware would be a good option.  Now updated, the Dashboard no longer displays the device name.  The field is not even selectable.  Furthermore, the serial number is no longer visible.

Is this a known issue?  How can I fix it?  Thanks.

Hi, have you tried doing a power cycle or pressing the reset button on the back of the My Cloud? You can also try opening the dashboard with another browser to verify if the problem continues. 

Yes, I have tried those suggestions, as well as viewing the dashboard in Firefox, Opera, and Chrome – no change.

It seems this (or an identical) issue was resolved in firmware 3.01.02-125:

“Resolved issue of device serial number not appearing when launching WD My Cloud desktop app.”

Was there a proposed solution back then?

Hi again, if you have not installed the latest firmware, please do so as this is the only official solution. 

Everything was fine until I installed the latest firmware.  My unit arrived a couple of days ago with 3.01.04-139.  This problem only manifested after upgrading to 3.04.01-230.

stevenc80 wrote:

It seems this (or an identical) issue was resolved in firmware 3.01.02-125:

“Resolved issue of device serial number not appearing when launching WD My Cloud desktop app.”

The Desktop App “fix” was a different thing altogether…

Have you tried a “System Only” factory restore?

I haven’t yet tried that.  Unfortunately, I don’t have the time right now to spend further troubleshooting this visible, annoying bug.  Thankfully *fingers crossed* nothing more serious seems to be wrong.

What gets reset during a System Only restore?  I know I keep my data, but will I have to re-create (or configure setup) my users and/or shares?  I suppose I could save the configuration, perform the System Only restore, and restore the configuration.  I just don’t want to create more problems for myself.

I bought the 4TB My Cloud on sale because it was less expensive than the 4TB Red drive.  Worst case scenario:  I just open the unit and use the drive.  Are there instructions on how to do this?  If it comes to that, I won’t be concerned about the warranty.

I am also having this same problem with a WD My Cloud 3TB that I bought a few days ago. When I first set it up I changed it’s name in Device Profile, Device Name and it worked fine. Later I got it on the Internet and was able to apply the latest firmware update. My device is now on v04.00.00-607 and my Settings, General, Device Profile section looks just like your’s -

How can we fix this?

I wish I knew how to fix this.  As busy as I was, I’m even more busy now.  So, I’ve just learned to live with it.

Sorry, that’s probably not what you wanted to hear.  I’ll update this thread if I ever find a solution.  Please do the same.

With firmware 4.0, some UI components can take a mn or more to display. Did you wait long enough?