Device locks up when I plug in an external harddrive

Not me but want to hear from someone who has

I too am having this issue - purchased a WD My Cloud 3TB one week ago, updated the firmware (to v03.03.02-165), and setup a Timemachine and Smartware backup on the device, as well as copied over some data. 

When attempting to plug in a WD MyPassport USB 3.0 external drive into the WD My Cloud USB 3.0 port, the WD My Cloud becomes unresponsive via My Cloud app, web UI, and via Finder/Explorer. Once the drive is removed (manually), it slowly becomes responsive again, but a reboot of the device usually  stabilize things again.

I am going to call customer support to initiate a trouble ticket and work towards a resolution, but any feedback from the WD product team listening here, or the community, would be appreciated. I am happy to work with anyone on the issue.

One step I will attempt is to connect the drive to my Mac’s Disk Utility and perform a file system check.   I will be happy to report back here.

I am having the very same problem. It really **bleep** if I can not connect external hard drive through the USB port.

there is a solution…

Solution last words - disconnection from network & USB attachment followed by disconnection

@ Shayn,

If your USB drive has copied files on it from a PC or Laptop, which you have done before. The my Cloud is not happy. It tries to scan the USB hdd for files, particular media files. Which is part of the media scan of the my cloud.

The best thing that worked for me was delete the partition with a partition manager of some sort. Then format the USB hdd to ntfs, ext2,3,4 or any other file format. Check in the manual. Then put the clean USB hdd to the my Cloud and it stops freezing up. Then you can copy the files on it, either by copy and paste or let safe point do it at night time when you are going to bed, ie. 4 am. This safe point can take a while if you have for example 4-500 gb to copy.

Gimme kudos if this works.

This problem occured only recently. Everything seemed to work fine for a month or so until last week: complete lock up of my 3TB MyCloud. Attached was a 4 TB USB3 My Book, which is structurally attached to the My Cloud. After power down and restart the same thing occured with 1 TB 2.5" Essentials USB3 disk.

Latest firmware (_03.04.01-219) _installed. Strange statements in the release notes: “Resolved issue of a USB drive named as “backup” will not mount when attached to the USB expansion port.” Does that mean that it will still lock up when the USB drive has a name other then “backup”? Should I rename the USB drive into “backup” now?

Dutch24 wrote:

This problem occured only recently. Everything seemed to work fine for a month or so until last week: complete lock up of my 3TB MyCloud. Attached was a 4 TB USB3 My Book, which is structurally attached to the My Cloud. After power down and restart the same thing occured with 1 TB 2.5" Essentials USB3 disk.

Latest firmware (_03.04.01-219) _installed. Strange statements in the release notes: “Resolved issue of a USB drive named as “backup” will not mount when attached to the USB expansion port.” Does that mean that it will still lock up when the USB drive has a name other then “backup”? Should I rename the USB drive into “backup” now?

there is a solution…

Solution last words - disconnection from network & USB attachment followed by disconnection

Did do a firmware upgrade of the MyBook (through WDFirmwareUpdater).  Restart of MyCloud with MyBook attached works now, although initiation of the MyCloud is still slow. Then, things seem to be fully functional again. Has been running well for the whole week now.

4TB MyCloud, having the same issue, mounting a 2TB USB Drive (Hitachi) and it works for awhilem, then  UI becomes unresponsive, MyCloud stops working  and will only come back online when the external USB drive is disconnected and MyCloud rebooted.

I have not found anyone who has this part working properly.