Destination Folder Access Denied

I have 5 shares. Public, Smartware, Time Machine Backup, John, Bernadette.
The only one ever used is the 'John" and thats the only one with files.

What is DSCF?
The dmesg output is so much, the browser cant contain it all. Here is the first screen of it.

This image shows all kinds of mounts on /dev/sda4. Other than the 5 shares that you
mentioned. I donā€™t know what these other mounts are.

1 Like

As I pointed out a while back, you seem to have a whole load of image files at the top level of your file system; those DSCxxxxx and IMG files. Thatā€™s not normal, and Iā€™m not sure how that has happened, unless you have been using some non-standard methods of file management on the device. Or maybe the mobile app photo upload has somehow let you point its upload to the top level.

You might try moving those files to somewhere more sensible; into one of those shares. Using mv.

1 Like

Thatā€™s strange. As far as I can recal, I have never uploaded any photos from any device but my home PC with windows . I always just drag and drop files into folders in the my cloud which I name for the year. In each year folder are folders with other folders for things done durring that given year. All of those folders are in one folder called Photos and Videos. And that folder is in.my John folder, or user folder. I see what you are saying, but I donā€™t know why it is doing that.

you need to cd into those directories and check out the files.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m going to get a good used 3tb hard drive, usb it to the mycloud, and back up all my files, then do a reset. The hard drive will be much faster to repopulate the mycloud than all the disc backups.
My question is how do I hard reset it and will that wipe the slate clean of all the mess?
Also, will the static IP I assigned to the mycloud stay the same.
And finally, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening g again? Seems like power outages cause problems.
Thanks

Plug it into your computer, and transfer data over your local network (assuming itā€™s a GBE network). The USB port on the MyCloud is very slow. Even the user manual suggests using a computer for bulk transfers.

1 Like

Ok. I picked up a 4 tb desktop hard drive and Iā€™ve backed up all of my files from the mycloud.
Considering the issues my mycloud unit has had, whatā€™s the best procedure for wiping it clean and total reset?

reformat the data partition with linux on a PC. From the sounds of it, the system partition(s) are fine.

If it were me, this is what I would do, but I canā€™t really expect other people to grok the intricacies of why:

1. use dd to copy the first 4mb of the old drive onto the new one. (This pulls the partition table over) eg:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdd bs=1M count=4 && sync

2. run partx. (Gets linux to refresh/rescan partitions on drives. This makes the copied partition table show up to the linux box, and populates /dev with appropriate block devices)

3. use dd to copy the system partitions over

4. use mkfs.ext4 to make a new filesystem on the data volume

Then plug it into the mycloud.