Destination Folder Access Denied

There you go; Wierd_w was right: sda4 is mounted as ro (read only). Try his suggestion of a reboot (or maybe a 4-second reset).

1 Like

Darn it. I did the 4 second reset and it didn’t fix the permission issue.

And a re-boot
?

I did the “4 second” reset per this instruction:

With power on, push button 4 seconds and wait about 5 mins for blue light.

Is “reboot” a different process?

Yes. Shut down, remove power. Re-apply power.

1 Like

Well, I unplugged the mycloud for 52 minutes. plugged it back in and no change. No Permission.

• Please dont give up on my now. I really appreciate your help and im ready to do almost anything you can advise me to. The answer cant be far now.

OK, this is suggestive that there might be some file system damage on that volume, and the system is remounting as read only on reboot to protect the data.

We need to verify that though. Get some dmesg output for me.

dmesg | grep mount

The output of dmesg is many many pages long, so we are using another tool, called grep, to filter it down to just lines containing the world “mount”. If the system is remounting that volume as read only due to file system damage, this output will tell us that. That symbol between dmesg and grep is the pipe symbol. It is produced with the shift key and the forwardslash key. (it is usually right above the enter key on the keyboard.)

If my suspicion is correct, then we need to back up your pictures for safety reasons, then we need to stop all the file share services from the command line, unmount the volume, and run fsck on it. fsck is not a golden bullet, and could hose everything up if the corruption is really bad-- that is why we need to back up everything first if we have to go that route.

1 Like

Thank you Wierd_w
Here is the result for dmesg | grep mount.

Yup.
File system has errors, remounted as RO.

Time to do the tedious backup process, (we dont want to risk your data!!). Post again when you have finished copying the data someplace safe.

1 Like

Hi Wierd_w,
I already have all of my data backed up on DVD-R’s, CDRW’s and BD’s - a couple shoe boxes worth. I always like redundant backup as I HATE losing things.
I would dread having to re-populate all of that as it would take me weeks, but Im willing to take a chance if its the only chance I have. Its good to know I might not get hosed, but if I do, Im ready to accept it.
Im ready :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Would not hurt to do the e2fsck. Just umount /dev/sda4. Then e2fsck /dev/sda4

1 Like

Thank you rac,
How would you go about entering those commands exactly? Or rather how do you unmount?

I think rac gave the commands. Note that it’s umount, not unmount

umount /dev/sda4
e2fsck /dev/sda4

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=umount
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e2fsck

1 Like

I did it but didnt fix my problem. Did I do it wrong?

The umount command didn’t work, for some reason. Sadly, it failed silently. A common reason for umount to fail is that the device is busy, but that ought to report ‘device busy’

Since the device is mounted, e2fsck could not be run. The error message is pretty clear about that

1 Like

Looking at the output of your mount command, you have a lot of stuff there that looks like files (e.g. the DSCF stuff. I don’t get any of that:

/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=40960k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=40960k)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=102400k,nr_inodes=20480)
/dev/root on /var/log.hdd type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
ramlog-tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=40960k)
/dev/sda4 on /DataVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)
/dev/sda4 on /CacheVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)
/dev/sda4 on /nfs/Public type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)
/dev/sda4 on /nfs/Media type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)
/dev/sda4 on /nfs/Username type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw,relatime)
1 Like

You need to umount all of the /dev/sda4 mounts. Then run e2fsck.

1 Like

I confess my Google-fu has failed me on this one
 Can’t find a umount option that discusses how to do that. Give us a clue
?

1 Like

umount /DataVolume
umount /CacheVolume
umount /nfs/Public
umount /nfs/Media
umount /nfs/Username

You should probably stop NFS and Samba first. Those daemons will hold the shares in use.

killall nfsd*
killall smbd*

then do the umounts.