Destination Folder Access Denied

Cannot write to mycloud. I get an error window saying DESTINATION FOLDER ACCESS DENIED.
YOU NEED PERMISSION TO PERFORM THIS ACT.

Need help please. Thank you.

1. List item

More information is needed. Have you read the User Manual for your generation of My Cloud? See link below.

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en

1 Like

Hi cat, yes I have read the manuals. I don’t see my issue defined. The mycloud has worked fine for a long time. I am running windows 10 and according to my dashboard, the system is ok. I am running the latest firmware according to dashboard settings.
I have researched this issue in depth and it appears to be common.

To reiderate, all files on the mycloud are viewable. The problem is I cannot add files or create folders even as Administrator because of the restriction which is supposedly coming form the destination which is the mycloud.

The mycloud has worked fine for a long time and now this issue is preventing me from adding files.

In the meantime, if I can solve this problem, I will share what I find out to help others.

I would accept any help you can offer.

How are you accessing the MyCloud? One of the WD Apps, or File Manager. If File Manager, have you mapped the shares as network drives? If so, what credentials did you use?

It’s not unknown for MyCloud to have a ‘hiccup’ and corrupt the access rights. It might be worth logging in to the linux OS using SSH (or using WinSCP), and having a look at the share permissions. The discussion at this thread might help:

1 Like

I called Wd yesterday. They determined that the problem is with windows 10 and not the mycloud. I watched a tutorial video about mapping a network drive and tried it, it created “Z:” for my mycloud, but did not do anything for solving the problem. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

I need step by step instructions for a novice.

Did you read the thread I linked
?

1 Like

Hi, yes I just read through it. Thank you for sharing that. Although her problem is a little different than mine, I am going to put on my training wheels when I get home and give that a try. I have two questions if I may. Where is a good place to download puTTY, and is this “ls -ll” a small L, an s, a space, a dash and 2 small L’s?

One more question. My mycloud has three main files. One under my name, one under my wife’s name, and one under the name public. I only have files in the folder under my name. Is that the only one that I need to change the permissions on? My file has hundreds of folders within it.

Well I followed the instructions but it didn’t work. Nothing changed from my original problem. First 2 photos are the ‘before’ “ls -ll” and the second 2 photos are the after.

The files are still owned by root. They should be owned either by the user who ‘owns’ them, or by ‘nobody’, a special user used by the file permissions system.

The output of the ls command is explained nicely here:

Did you use the command:

chown -R nobody:share [file_path]

What folders are those you have listed? (i.e. what is the path, aka directory name?)

1 Like

Thanks cpt. well if you don’t know what it means then I surely don’t know what it means :slight_smile: I’m just a locomotive repair machinist trying to get this mycloud to accept my family photos.

I used the protocol below from the previous thread.
chown -R nobody:share /shares/[name of share containg your games]/Games
chmod -R 777 /shares/[name of share containing your games]/Games

Except first time I did it I just used the share ‘John’ since that share is the only one with data on the my cloud, about 30000 photos. It took several minutes for it to cycle through all the files after that command. Then I did the John name with the 7 7 7 protocol. And I noticed that it didn’t fix my problem. Then I went back and did the protocol using John as the share and then the file underneath that which I call photos and videos. Once again it did reallocation taking several minutes but then still no result. Notice how I did use the nobody protocol. Why do you suppose that that did not change my file permissions? Sorry if I’m rambling on in a confusing way but this whole thing is rather confusing to me anyways :slight_smile:

If the name of your share is ‘John’, then you want to do this:

chown -R nobody:share /shares/John
chmod -R 777 /shares/John

After that, when you ls -ll the folder, it should list nobody as the owner, and share as the group, with all permissions given.

There is another potential source of this message though. The MyCloud by default is configured for public access, meaning anybody can log in with guest account credentials and make/delete files. It is wide open. However, you can turn off public access, then allow or revoke access based on a per-user basis. If this has been turned on, and no users in the list are granted write access, you will not be able to make changes to the share over the network. Verify that this is not the case.

I strongly suspect that it is this latter potential cause, as the image given shows that the GROUP is already share, so members of the share group (which the Samba daemon’s user credentials is!) should be able to get full access. I suspect that Samba is just configured to go “NOPE!”, due to the dashboard settings.

2 Likes

hi weird W, thank you for your reply. The way that you listed at the beginning of your post as far as the command is exactly how I did it. I did it that way first and after that finding that it didn’t fix the problem then I did it a second way with the name John as share and then the file under that which I call ‘photos and videos’ as the following /file but that didn’t fix it either. I noticed as all of the files were streaming down the screen for that several minutes that at the end of each one it would say " read-only file" or something like that. It said that after every single one that flashed across the screen. I don’t know if that means anything.I am almost certain that Public Access is turned off. At least it is turned off when I talk to the mycloud guys on the telephone. Unless it had turned itself back on without my knowing. I will verify this when I get home but as far as I know the public access is turned off like I said on advice of the mycloud phone technician.

I don’t think you have answered this question yet

1 Like

Either you used the wrong path name, or you are not logged in as root. When you use PuTTY to log in via SSH, what username are you logging in as? It should be root.

Also, bear in mind that directories with spaces in the name must be protected by quotes e.g. '/shares/John/photos and videos'

1 Like

Hi cpt.
All of this action has been by file manager in windows 10 (which I’m about to revert back to 8 because of that infernal Automatic Updates) So file manager is my method, but another thing that I didn’t bring up is that the mobile app for the mycloud that I use on my Android phone will also allow me to access all of the files in all of the folders of my photos and videos, but it will not let me see the picture and it says unable to show image or something like that. So on the PC using the file system it will show all the files and the image, but on the Android phone through the app it will show the files are there but will not show an image. I did not want to bring up this problem while we’re dealing with the other one so as Not to cause too much confusion.I did use the name root. That part worked flawlessly.

If the chmod and chown commands returned “read-only file”, then I suspect that the volume is mounted read-only for some reason.

Get me the output of

mount

no arguments on it, just that. It should list all the current mounted file systems, and what access types they are mounted as. I suspect that /dev/sda2 is mounted as read only. If so, this might be fixable with a simple reboot.

1 Like

Thanks Wierd_w

To get mount, do I enter ‘mount’ alone in the ‘share:>’ command prompt through puTTY?

Just log in via SSH, and type mount. Doesn’t matter where you are in the directory structure.

1 Like

I think I’m getting a little better at this technical computer stuff.
Here are 2 overlapping screenshots of the results of mount.