Deleting files Passport Essential, Mac OS X 10.6.8

Hello all,

I did try to search past  Community posts… I first used my two Passport Essentials (about 5 years old) with my PC.  And now using  with my  Mac OS X 10.6.8.  Could copy files to the Passport  from the Mac with no problem.  Now I want to delete files from the Passport – also, I thought it went ok. (the filenames went away & I used the normal Mac file delete procedure).  But when I use Get Info for the Passport, it shows that the Passport is still full?  So, I am assuming the files have not REALLY been deleted and/or the disk space freed up?  I checked the  Permissions for the disk & it says I can Read & Write.  So not sure how to free up the space so I can backup more of my files?

Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi, if the Passport was previously formatted using Windows NTFS, you will only be able to copy your files from the Passport to the Mac, but not from the Mac to the Passport, you can verify how the Passport is formatted from the Get Info window. For the steps on how to format the Passport from the Disk Utility app, please follow the link below.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX 

Thank you for your reply!

MS-DOS (FAT32) – this is the format from Get Info

I can copy files from my Mac to my Passport.

But the files that I have ‘deleted’ are still taking up space.  And now I get the message (when trying to backup files from my Mac) that the Passport is ‘Full’ altho I know that it shouldn’t be full if the files I deleted had been really deleted.  (I do Get Info on the two largest folders on my Passport & they only total about 55 GB…) (The capacity is 250GB.)

I really don’t want to Format the Passport & lose all info.

Help appreciated!

Ichigo, Staff has anyone experieced the same problem as me – described in the previous email?  Am trying one more time to ask of the Group.  I’m thinking must be something simple, common – THANK YOU!  If no one knows, that’s ok, too, guess I will just format & lose all the other backup data – but then I could have the problem next time.

dzinn wrote:

Thank you for your reply!

MS-DOS (FAT32) – this is the format from Get Info

I can copy files from my Mac to my Passport.

But the files that I have ‘deleted’ are still taking up space.  And now I get the message (when trying to backup files from my Mac) that the Passport is ‘Full’ altho I know that it shouldn’t be full if the files I deleted had been really deleted.  (I do Get Info on the two largest folders on my Passport & they only total about 55 GB…) (The capacity is 250GB.)

I really don’t want to Format the Passport & lose all info.

Help appreciated!

FAT32 is a very unstable, old and buggy file system on newer operating systems. Once you’re done moving files you should put it back to a file system that works better for that OS>

Hold old is the drive? What you wrote looks to me like dead sectors.