Deleting Files on Computer

I have searched for this simple question but cannot find a definite answer. If I delete files on my computer will they stay on My Book Essential? I want to clear space on my PC by deleting photos and RAW files but am not sure…

Thank you,

Dusky:smiley:

Yes , They Will Stay On it  , Erasing A File From Your Computer (C:) Will NOT Delete that Same File From the My Book ( It Will Stay in the My Book ) However Before You Delete A file Of Your Computer Double Check That the File have Been Copied to the my book , That Way You Will Avoid loosing your Data Ok :slight_smile:

should You have any other Question ? Let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whoa! Wait a second there!

DO NOT REMOVE THE FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST TWO COPIES ON DIFFERENT EXTERNAL DEVICES.

External drives (by ANY manufactuer) have a tendancy to fail, and if you load it up with your files, than remove them from your computer it is the ONLY copy of those files. If something goes wrong (it gets dropped, corrupted, or just plain stops working) you could lose all of your data. While I have had much greater success with WD drives than anyone elses, even they will occasionally fail even when being treated perfectly. It’s just the nature of the technology.

Just in case I wasn’t clear, DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE A SECOND COPY. 

ALL UP TO YOU! ,

If You Want to Make Sure that you Wont loose your Data You Could Expend Some more money in another External Drive Or Another Device to have a double Copy …

Besides having it saved to more than one drive I would suggest using something other than Smartware. It has a bit of a reliability problem look at some of the posts here.

Joe