Deleting data from a volume on my PRO4100 doesn't actually free up space (48 hours+)

Hi there,

I’ve got a PRO4100, and love it, for the most part, however recently I’ve encountered an issue where deleting files from one of my volumes doesn’t ever actually free up space on the drive (or so it appears). I know it can take some time for the thing to actually remove the data, but it’s been over 48 hours at this point and even though I’ve removed at least 500 gigs from the drive, it’s not reflecting that in the drive properties or through the My Home web interface. As it is I can’t put anything else on the drive, as it thinks the drive is at max capacity, even though it definitely isn’t.

I thought if I could manually force the device to refresh the volume it might solve this problem, but I can’t find a way to do that through the My Home interface.

Would physically removing the drive and reinstalling it work?

Basically out of ideas.

Thanks!

Recycle bin.

Edit: I didn’t mean ‘trash the box’, but rather ‘check the Recycle bin available at the root share’.
Use Shift-Delete when you want to perma-delete.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I have the recycle bin enabled in the Shares Setup section for the volume in question, but there’s no actual Recycle Bin folder listed under the drive itself on my network, as is described here : My Cloud: Recycle Bin

Edit: solved, thanks! Will make another post below with details for future readers.

With Tfl’s response to help, I’ve solved the issue. For future readers with the same problem, the root access / root share to your device may simply not be visible under your Network, but it can be forced show itself by opening up an Explorer window and in the address bar typing “\\devicename”. Devicename being whatever you named your NAS on your network.

Your root share will now show up as a Network location, but sadly only so long as you have that window open. It won’t be visible in a new window until you follow the above steps again. I’ve been trying to find a way to add it permanently to my network but haven’t been able to yet. I’ll update if I do.

Once you get to this point you might be curious as to how this recycle bin nonsense works on the MyCloud devices. The recycle bins hold your deleted files until you go into the bins and delete them again. Attempting to delete them permanently from your volumes with Shift-Delete might not work (doesn’t for me), so to regain space on your drives you’ll basically have to delete everything twice.

I think it’s important at this stage to say that I’m not going to be buying another NAS product from WD until they get their ■■■■ together and figure out how to:

1. Produce a Web UI interface that can access all aspects of their product so their customers don’t have to spend hours figuring out how to do the simplest of stuff through the Windows Explorer.

2. Hire either a team of mediocre tech writers or just two really good ones to write comprehensive documentation for EVERYTHING their devices can do, and how to do it. The fact that they don’t have this in place is ridiculous, and I think does an excellent job of displaying just how little of a ■■■■ WD gives about their customers.

From the Web UI, you can also go to Settings, General and scroll to the bottom to clear out the Recycle Bin (you won’t be able to see what files exist first, but this is another method for those who may not be as familiar/comfortable with network shares).

1 Like