Deleting Computer Files, Keep on My Cloud

Ok, so I feel really stupid asking this but I need help.

I was given the My Cloud as a gift because I said that I wanted something that would let me backup all of my computer files and delete them off of my computer to free up space. I was just going to get a portable external hard drive but I was told the My Cloud would do what I wanted and was the better option.

It doesn’t seem to be doing what I want it to do. I backed folders up to it but when I deleted them from my computer they deleted from the My Cloud.

Will this thing do what I want it to and I’m just not setting it up right or is this not the right device?

What program or software are you using to “backup” to the My Cloud? Smartware? Time Machine? WD Sync? A third party backup/sync program? Windows File Explorer? Macintosh Finder?

If using Smartware see the Smartware User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartware/um.asp) for more information on how to configure and use that backup program.

You’re using backup software, it take it? WD Sync, perhaps, that the WD Setup program encouraged you to install? That’s the problem. It is designed to make a replica of the current state of data on a disk; it will add files to the backup when you add files to the master, and delete files from the backup when you delete files from the master.

If what you want to do is simply transfer files from PC to MyCloud, then don’t use the backup tool; simply move the files from the PC to the MyCloud.

The easiest way to do this is to map the mycloud into your computer’s file system, and use your file manager to move the files.

Note that moving files like this is not what would normally be called ‘backup’. Backup is taking a copy of files to prevent data loss in the event of a drive failure. If you simply move your files to the MyCloud, your MyCloud will become the primary, or master data store, and you will not have a backup; you would be vulnerable to data loss in the event of a failure of the MyCloud drive. All drives can fail, at any time.

As for whether the MyCloud is the right thing for you, it’s probably easiest if you ask yourself these questions:

Do you need an always-on file server, accessible by a number of computers, tablets, phones, on your network?
Do you need an always-on media server, accessible to media players on your network?
Do you need remote access to your data, without carrying a disk with you?

If the answer to any of these questions is ‘yes’, then the MyCloud is probably suitable for your needs.

If the answer to all of them is ‘no’, then you may be better off with a simple USB HDD.