Deleting 100GB took 2 days

I removed an old backup folder that Memo left on my "My Book World Edition White Light 01.02.06 " and it all but shutdown my external drives. I have the 2 TB edition, in RAID mode. It’s connected via 1000 Mbps full duplex to a switch, which my desktop is also connected to.

It took about 2 days to delete this data. This was a right-click delete via windows explorer. The drive was mapped.

This is insane. If I had a network drive from another PC, that delete operation would have taken about 20 minutes.

Why is this device so slow on everything it tries to do? I’ve even shut down the media scanner thing. I just need NAS, that’s it. This device needs a “pure NAS mode” where all this other ■■■■ stops. Also, I’m pretty sure the SAMBA team worked out how to delete large number of files, or directories quickly. I seem to recall that being a feature of SAMBA back in 2006. 

I think WD has shot themselves in the foot. Alot of users at my work equate ‘slow harddrvies’ with Western Digital because of the World Book’s we bought them all for home use. Had someone already ask me to make sure his new dell laptop doesn’t have a WD harddrive, “because they are so slow”. Users don’t understand the how or the why, they just record and remeber the effect.

Malakai, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,