Delete Public Share Folder or Restrict Access

This really needs to be addressed across all cloud devices.

Please Sort this

I agree - this needs to be on EX2, not just on EX4. Until this gets implemented, here’s a manual fix to restrict access to the Public share ->  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Hacks-to-make-Public-share-and-USB-shares-private/td-p/728740

Folks voting on this feature request (by clicking the up arror icon next to the first post in the thread) please also vote up my request for a similar restrict access feature for the USB shares. Currently the entire USB share automatically becomes accessible to all. That idea thread is here -> http://community.wd.com/t5/Personal-Cloud-Ideas/EX2-USB-shares-need-configurable-permissions-configurable-ftp/idi-p/712500

I haven’t thought about this security bug. It seems there are more issues than I initially thought. Hope they fix it soon.

Just bought this product. It is still not possible to delete the public folder. It is really a “no go” for this product not to be able to controll access. Maybe I will give back this product to the seller, as this product is “not safely operational” when there is not a possibility to control the acces to all folders. I don’t want to become a share place for “unwanted stuff” just becaus there is a public uncontrollable folder…

I know this can be done because I’ve restricted access on a My Book Live NAS, My Book Duo NAS and a My Cloud NAS. Personally I would go to keep the Public directory/share, but allow setting a restriction on access to it.

It’s is surprisingly easy to. I didn’t really change anything apart from the ACL on /DataVolume/shares/Public

Connected to nas-mc.
220 Welcome to WD My Cloud
User (nas-mc:(none)): alex
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp> cd alex
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> cd ..
ftp> cd Public
550 Failed to change directory.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

I’ve not erased Public . . . .

Connected to nas-mc.
220 Welcome to WD My Cloud
User (nas-mc:(none)): myron
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp> cd alex
ftp> cd ..
ftp> cd Public
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

I’ve not changed anything except the ACL on the Public directory and recursed the changes to the whole directory structure under Public.

I would keep the Public directory but just have one single option which would read something similar to . . .

Restrict access of Public to owner/admin?  YES/NO

That’s all that is needed and is stupidly simple to implement. The factory default would be to allow all access to Public and and owner/admin would have to enable the restriction.

See:
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/BE-CAREFUL-PUBLIC-FOLDER-amp-PHOTOS/m-p/756544#M16621

I agree there needs to be an enhancement to either remove the Public folder or change it to read only.

agree

It’s must be in WD My Cloud too.

I agree!

Agreed! 

I am very disapointed with the Public share, not only can i not controle it, I can’t even deny users access to it. And i wanted the EX2 to be able to automaticly backup my photos from me, my girlfriend and my sons phone. But the photos are, without being able to change it, backed up to the public share. This is a huge security flaw!!!

WD YOU NEED TO ATTEND THIS ISSUE, OR AT LEAST MAKE A STATEMENT ABOUT IT!!

Up this!!

Seriously, WD, what were you thinking?  A public share where any newb can delete everything in it?  This really needs to be addressed.  I just purchased four of these boxes.  Should I return?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/WD-We-need-the-ability-to-turn-off-the-Public-Share/m-p/802575

–Doug

100% need this.  

My EX2 is connected to the network of a co-working space, which is incredibly common for most early stage startups.  There are over 100 other startups in this space, all of which now have access to my public folder.

What’s going on WD?  Seems like a major oversight.  If you aren’t going to make this (easy) fix, then can you at least explain to everyone the reasoning behind this??

Why has this been “In Review” for over 6 months???

One more here. In my country, you’ll go to prison for 2 years, if you have files like those mentioned in the original post. -So please make it possible to get rid of any public shared folder completely.

This is such a big security hole.

How can you (the end user) have a folder on a network storage device that you cannot control.

Only had this device for a few hours but it looks like I may be taking it back.

I just purhaced the My cloud 3TB model and noticed this when setting up the system. I would also raise my concern about safety of my network as I can’t disable the public sharing of the public folder.

What you can apparently do, is to ssh into the drive (as root), and run;

cd /shares; rm -rf Public

Bingo! It’s gone. For some reason, it still shows up in the administration interface, but it remains gone from the shares directory, and, more importantly, does not show up as a share to anyone, and guest login fails.

DISCLAIMER: If you don’t know how to ssh into the drive, or to enable ssh, I’m not going to describe it. You can do serious damage if you don’t know what you’re doing, though this is pretty simple.

Excellent point!!

How can this item be on review for almost a year and WD doesn’t solve the problem.

jonclaud