Delayed write failure

I RECEIVED A DELAYED WRITE FAILURE WHILE CUTTING AND PASTING A HUGE AMOUNT OF DATA OVER NIGHT…I WAS NOT AWARE OF THE USB LOSING POWER WHEN MY PC WENT TO SLEEP.  NOW IT APPEARS THE DATA IS LOST.  ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

A delayed write failure may occur if data is corrupted. Data corruption may occur if the Large System Cache feature is enabled for memory usage in Windows XP. If this feature is enabled, the number of page table entries that Windows XP must maintain may be increased, and in extreme cases, may be exhausted. Although this problem does not occur on all systems, the following key factors may cause data corruption:

• System memory that is more than 512 megabytes (1 gigabyte of RAM is common)
  • Large NTFS disk volumes and multiple large volumes (60-100 gigabyte hard drives, possibly in RAID arrays)
  • AGP graphics with large AGP resource requirements (more than the default AGP aperture)
  • Large file transfers. This problem occurs when the computer runs out of system page table entries. When the computer is started, Windows determines the default number of page table entries to assign, based on how much system memory is available.

To avoid data corruption, make sure that the system cache is not selected for memory usage by disabling the System Cache feature. To do this, go to the “Make sure that System Cache is not selected for memory usage” section.

more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

That’s great for next time, but  where is my data?

Its possible the data is lost…

copying data and machine going to sleep means the computer went OFF while transfering data which causes the corruption of your data.  My suggestion is to ALWAYS copy-paste the files intead of cutting it…once the data is copied then delete it from the source

Being someone that clearly knows nothing about that kind of stuff, is it even worth getting a local techie to look at my drives to see if the data can be recovered at all?

Only if you have deep pockets. Never trust important data to just one physical drive.

Joe

You may check on Google for “data recovery softwares” …maybe you should have luck with it even getting some of your files instead of paying for a data recovery service.

Remember always to backup files to multiple locations.