Delayed Write Failed

Hi,

After months of having no issues I am now getting “Delayed Write Failed” errors every day.

I am using The ShareSpace as a secondary backup device, running Windows XP backup to save files from my server to the ShareSpace using a drive mapped to the ShareSpace over the network.  (I’m not backing up directly from the server because I really don’t like 2008’s builtin backup software.)

As I say, this had been working perfectly for many months and then suddlenly a couple of weeks ago it started giving this error.

I have changed the network cables, used a different switch, restarted the computers and the ShareSpace several times and even updated the firmware.  I have tried a completely different computer with exactly the same result.

I need to fix this or it renders the ShareSpace completely useless and has left me with only an Internet backup solution (Iron Mountain).

Many thanks.

Need more data. Did you look at the system log files on the sharespace? Login; go into advanced mode and then status.

–dennis

About the time of the error. In CIFS.  Nothing in System (related to this).

2011/11/17 12:28:53  ict-spare-01 (10.xxx.xxx.230) closed connection to service Backup
 2011/11/17 12:12:49  ict-spare-01 (10.xxx.xxx.230) connect to service Backup initially as user admin (uid=98, gid=1000) (pid 14063)

Client gets:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 50
Date:  17/11/2011
Time:  12:12:49
User:  N/A
Computer: ICT-SPARE-01
Description:
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Combined with:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date:  17/11/2011
Time:  12:12:49
User:  N/A
Computer: ICT-SPARE-01
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file [\10.xxx.xxx.xxx\backup\Backups\Week3\Friday3\Friday3.bkf](file://%5C%5C10.xxx.xxx.xxx%5Cbackup%5CBackups%5CWeek3%5CFriday3%5CFriday3.bkf). The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I’m assuming there is plenty of room on the volume you are trying to write to? Can you open the volume from windoze and create a folder and hand copy to it? The log file entries you are showing me from the sharespace say nothing. The client error report is vague. Since you have to write to it as a network volume, try unmapping and remapping.  Other than these suggestions, you will likely have to call WD.

–dennis

In my experience this type of error is often network related.

If you’re confident that the network infrastructure up to the WDSS is OK, I’d suspect the network interface on the WDSS.

A simple ping test to the sharespace might reveal more(?)

Network is fine, this is my workstation (I’m the Network Manager) I run many network tasks from this client successfully.

Can connect and copy files manually but takes too long.  NT Backup will complete over a weekend, copy will take another 2 or 3 days (and after the weekend the files will all change anyway).  Not a valid solution.

The only difference I can see is the size of the file.  One .bkf file can reach 600+ GB (although it’s building that up over time rather than one straight copy).  It seems to be failing when the .bkf reaches around the 30GB mark.