Default Startup Selection

Is there a way to change the default startup selection from Videos to either Services or Files?

No, but you can set a remote hotkey to do either of them…  

Thanks Tony.  I never thought of doing that.  Now if there was a way to program direct access to Netflix and MLB.TV,  would be awesome.

If you use the WD remote app you can go directly to any service.
The new WD play has programmable buttons to take you directly to services.

So what’s the dashboard really for?

This is an interesting topic and I want to make sure I understand it.  Is there a way for me to program the WD so that when I turn it on it will go directly to the “videos” page, bypassing the dashboard?  This would be great.  I don’t recall reading about this in the manual – I can dig it out and check but can someone confirm that I am actually understanding this discussion properly and this is actually an option?

Thanks.

No there is no way to program the player to go directly to any page. You can program a button on the remote to automatically press the video tab etc or if you have the media library on you can add a video page to the dashboard as a favorite (dashboard = remote down key / blue button). You can also go directly to services once booted up by using the WD remote app. You could probably use a programmable remote to issue commands automatically one after the other to get to a certain page.

tdp23 wrote:

Is there a way for me to program the WD so that when I turn it on it will go directly to the “videos” page, bypassing the dashboard? 

No…  And there should be no need to “bypass” the dashboard.   The dashboard also requires keypresses to enter…

tdp23 wrote:

Is there a way for me to program the WD so that when I turn it on it will go directly to the “videos” page, bypassing the dashboard?

If you leave your WD set to the page you want and do not turn off your WD (just the TV) next time you turn on the TV the page you want will still be there.  Many people hardly ever turn off their WD player (incl. me) so try this solution.  Lots of devices today do not turn off unless you pull the power plug (e.g. Roku media players have no on/off button  – they are always on.)

I would not say that they were always on. They may have power going in them but they can usually be put into a low power standby mode which with modern electronics is usually <1 watt.

Rich, my Live Plus is either on or off – there is no standby mode, so my Live plus is always on unless I need to turn it off to restart, etc.  Different story for SMP, I’m sure, since it has a standby mode (so don’t put it in standby mode).