Decent DLNA remote app for android?

Hi,

I am looking for a decent, simple DLNA app for android for use with the WDTV Live Hub, basically to use my phone to browse the contents of the WDTV, press play and then use as a remote. I have tried Allcast and Bubble uPnP and others and theyre all quite complicated in terms of having to choose reciever, renderer each time etc. Any ideas?

1 Like

ES File Explorer File Manager – nice file browser that will allow you to be more in control of where you want to copy or move files, and with what additional app you would like to open them.

MX Player – for playing videos, especially mkv files,

Walkman, my favorite Sony´s app, for playing music.

Bubble UPnP (Chromecast / DLNA) i find is easy to use … or for something prettier i also use

MediaHouse Pro      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbapp.android.mediahouse.pro&hl=en

Which is also easy to use.  But again requires a Source/Renderer setup (which you’ll find all DLNA software requires)

Here’s some screenshots from MediaHouse Pro

Easy Setup… plain english  (below in Remote Control mode)

2 Likes

Mediahouse Pro looks great, is the meta data getting pulled from the WDTV or from the app. Ideal would be if you could just configure WDTV as the default device for both renderer and receiver.

metadata is pulled from the app

This is a great app, thanks for the recommendation. By any chance do you know of a similar one for iOS? Is that pulls in metadata?

sorry, i don’t know … i don’t own any Apple devices

This type of configuration would be an excellent service for disabled people, persons born with mental retardation, down syndrome, etc.  My brother Bobby has mental retardation.  His mind stopped developing at a 4 year old level.  Biologically he is now 52 years old.  He cannot read.  But he loves TV shows, movies, music, and family photos.  He knows how to work a VCR, but those are a thing of the past.  He also knows how to use a vending machine, radio, old fashioned TV with tuning/channel knobs.  Bridging the gap from the old world to the digital age for him is on an ongoing project I’ve been working on.

Does this program have three basic categories that are present in the same place all the time?  Pictures, Music, Videos/Movies?  When he taps an icon to look at his favorite TV shows will it then present a grid of pictures, each representing the shows that are on the WD TV Live Hub?  And when he is done playing a file will the program send him back to the main menu or to where he left off?

Also, can this software be used on a tablet with a wired GIgabit connection (or USB 2.0) back to the WD TV Live Hub as a control/feed wire?  I don’t like having wi-fi on in his house.  If not is there an equally easy to use program for a Windows 8.1 64-bit tablet that will do the same?

Does this program have three basic categories that are present in the same place all the time?  Pictures, Music, Videos/Movies?  When he taps an icon to look at his favorite TV shows will it then present a grid of pictures, each representing the shows that are on the WD TV Live Hub?  And when he is done playing a file will the program send him back to the main menu or to where he left off?

Yes and No … there’s a Free version (non-pro) if you wish, to “try before you buy”

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbapp.android.mediahouse&hl=en

Also, can this software be used on a tablet with a wired GIgabit connection (or USB 2.0) back to the WD TV Live Hub as a control/feed wire?  I don’t like having wi-fi on in his house.  If not is there an equally easy to use program for a Windows 8.1 64-bit tablet that will do the same?

If you have a Tablet with a wired Gigabit Connection … try the Free version to see if it will work