Debrick/Restore PR2100

I am having a problem with my WD PR2100 not saving any of the settings and basically on reboot is goes through the initial setup every time. I’ve already raised a support case with WD but it got to a point now where they say nothing can be done and it’s out of warranty.

I’ve determined there is nothing wrong with the disks as I have formatted them internally, wiped the partition externally and even used a new HDD and the issue still persists.

I’ve spent endless hours looking through the forum but only found snippets of things. I’ve got some basic Linux skills but that’s about it.

What I have found though is:

If I run sudo e2fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p6 it comes up with an error:

“Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).”

However I’ve been through this now several times confirming everything with “y” and at the end it says:

wdnas_config: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
wdnas_config: 46/5136 files (4.3% non-contiguous), 1938/20480 blocks

The problem isn’t fixed after that - I’ve run the command several times with the same result.

I’ve tried a restore from a backup of the Superblock but that hasn’t change anything.

Is there any way to completely rebuild the firmware or any other thoughts of fixing this?

Thanks!

Hi @rathmannm,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Yes I have @Keerti_01 and got nowhere with it…Incident: 221117-006638

@rathmannm ; Sounds like you have been struck by the _01 bot.

This sounds like corrupt firmware. Have you tried reloading known good firmware manually?

The problem isn’t caused by corrupted firmware. It’s the result of a corrupted or damaged eMMC flash partition. Repair may be possible, but advanced procedures are required.